Dangers From Using Teflon Pans

Is anyone worried about using teflon pans? I heard or read something about danger using these pans.

Gen from Kansas

They are definitely dangerous for birds, and others with high sensitivity (asthma) because of the particles breaking off and release of chemicals in the air. My inlaws have an African Grey and Green Amazon Parrots, and their vets warned them to stay away. I know the report is for Teflon brand (same with Goretex and that.) But it only is for the "Coating;" Scan Pan of Switzerland makes a ceramic non-stick BLASTED pan, so you don't get the scraped off material like in other non-stick. As far as I know, they are still safe. I use stainless steel; my husband introduced me to non-stick pans (T-Fal) and I think they are worthless, no mattter what. They scratch too easily, and lose their abilities after a year, not good for people who really cook two to three times a day. If anyone in your family/house is sensitive or has respiratory problems, or you cook quite a bit, just invest in some good heavy stainless pans.

Reported and Web Produced by: John Matarese

Updated: 01/27/06 11:42:34

A new EPA rule could mean big changes ahead in the way millions of us cook our dinner.

It's possible that in just a few years, teflon pots and pans could disappear for good!

DuPont and 7 other companies have agreed to stop using the main chemical in teflon -- PFOA -- because of links to cancer and birth defects.

Kenneth Cook, Environmental Working Group: "It's found in everything from newborn babies to whales in the ocean. Its indestructible, and lasts forever."

So DuPont has agreed to cut 95% of pfoa production in the next 4 years.

But what does that mean here in our kitchens, where more than half of all us households have teflon pans?

The manufacturers hope to find a replacement... So they can continue to make non stick pans.

Now the good news: You don't have to stop using your teflon pots and pans.

The EPA says that these pans are completely safe.... in normal use.

That's because the EPA says teflon pans do not give off any fumes in everyday cooking.

Only if they are scalded, left empty on a burning hot stove, can chemicals leach out.

So current teflon pans will continue to be sold in stores at least for a few more years.

Bottom line: The government says teflon pans remains safe for everyday use,

And says you can continue to use them until they wear out.

Teflon can break down and outgas when used over high heat, but seems to be relatively safe when used at lower temperatures. We reserve our teflon pans for making things like omelets and pancakes, which need a non-stick surface to come out properly (unless you use a ton of oil) and which are cooked at lower temps. For high-heat cooking I always use our iron wok or stainless steel Cuisinart pans.

Oh, and I always use nylon or wood utensils in our Teflon pans, never metal.

Teflon is really the chemical PTFE. PFOA which is known to be a carcinogen is used to make PTFE. So the article is not saying that the existing pans are unsafe (although heaven knows anything is possible), its saying the component of PTFE that us consumers don't normally see is dangerous.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food SafetyMarch 6, 2006
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Egg frying in Teflon pan on gas stove.
Cleaning Teflon
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
Dirty drip pan and stove top.
Keeping Electric Range Drip Pans Clean