Keeping Plastic From Tearing Around Nails

I would like to hang a 4 x 6 sheet of fairly heavy plastic over the front of a cupboard without doors. What can I use on the plastic to make sure that it does not tear or run when I put tacks or small nails in it? Thanks for any suggestions.

Willi from Calgary, Canada

I would use a strip of cloth tape, or duct tape (which actually comes in a "clear" color now) at the top, then fold the plastic over and tack through the doubled, reinforced part of the plastic.

Better yet would be to use a thin strip of wood, metal edging, or even firm plastic between the heads of the tacks (nails) and the plastic (reinforced as above). That would distribute the "pressure" from the nailheads across more of the plastic.

Use a heavy ribbon or tape (duck tape perhaps doubled) over the plastic and then tack of staple through the ribbon/tape & plastic.

I've used some nylon pulling tape about 1/2 " wide with 4 & 6 mill poly for years and it works oudside in the winter for protecting plants.

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceAugust 20, 2008
Removing Bacon in One Piece
Removing Bacon in One Piece
Plastic Lid Photo Ornament
Uses for Plastic Lids
Mancured Hand Holding Flower petals
Saving Money on Acrylic Nails
Photo of a woman's hands with acrylic nails on.
Applying Acrylic Nails
🎄
🍂