Small Kitchen AppliancesAppliances

Hardwired Garbage Disposal Quit Working

My garbage disposal has quit working. I have pushed the reset button several times and get only a slight hum sound. There is no way to unplug and replug it, as the cord goes through the wall. Heaven only knows where it plugs in, help! Any suggestions?

Turn it off and put the handle of a plunger or broom down in it and move it counter clockwise a few times and then after removing it try to turn it on sometimes staples and small things catch up in it Good luck!

Linda

Thank you!! I had tried a wooden spoon and couldn't get it to budge, the big handle on the plunger did the trick...you saved me some money, a million thanks...no I just need to look up the best thing to put in it every so often to keep it cleaner I guess....

Every disposal comes with an allen wrench. This is fitted into the bottom of the disposal and turned counterclock wise to free up the occasional stuck disposal.

Hard wired models go to the switch first then to a circuit breaker. Turn off the switch and there is no power to the disposal. For extra safety turn off the circuit breaker. To unclog it: first turn off the power, then look inside for objects, wearing rubber gloves reach inside and feel for objects, then try turning the chamber with the allen key if it is an Insinkerator brand or use a plunger handle or broom stick to turn the chamber back and forth to unclog it. Be careful to not push down too hard or you may dislodge the disposal. If after all this does not work then you need a trip to the hardware store for a new disposal.

I had exactly problem and took the same steps to fix...called electrician and the problem was in the switch on the wall...it was partially working but not sending enough "juice" to the disposal....just enough to make a humming sound. The wall switch was replaced and it work great now..

i got a sewing needle down in mine one time & the fix-it guy got it out with a long magnet...$55 later I learned a lesson