Gadgets - Which Ones Are Worth It?

Hi Susan,

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your newsletter. Over the months, I have learned so many things. Now, I keep a journal of the hints I receive!

Today someone mentioned a worthless gadget. Maybe readers could write in about gadgets that are actually worth the money on the info commercials. You always see them and wonder if there is value in them.

Have a super weekend.
Sandy

I have a Flip Fold, one of those things for folding shirts. It really does work well, for shirts. They're neatly folded now, actually neater than I can do it myself. I haven't figured out how to fold anything else besides shirts, though. Its other big advantage is that it leaves a nice big space clear wherever you're folding to actually fold clothes in (so your folded clothes piles don't take up all your folding space).

Camilla

I think that SpaceBags and the FoodSaver are very good products and worth the cost. They are, of course, now available in many stores.

I purchased a EuroPro hand-held steamer ($49) for use in cleaning and took it back immediately. It requires too much pumping and waiting for the steam to build back up. If there is a trick to it, I never figured it out. Nothing like the demonstrations I have seen on HSN.

I am curious about the new spinning storage unit that comes with plastic containers/lids for food storage. If you have it, what do you think? Is it a good value?

I was amused by an infomercial for a very expensive, electric steamer for sterilizing toothbrushes. Why would anyone want another plug-in appliance on the countertop when you can simply dunk your toothbrush in a designated bottle of inexpensive alcohol and achieve the same result.

Thank you for your site. I have really enjoyed learning from others!

those whips that are supposed to be a second hand in the kitchen are more like a third foot.

I have a Batter Pro that my Mum JUST bought for me. I have not tried it yet but she has had one for YEARS and she says it works well!

Oh and I don't know if this is what you're looking for. My eldest boys each got a HoverDisc for CHRISTmas and they are AWESOME! We have only filled it with air and taken them outside but even *I* had fun with it! Can't wait to try it inside with the helium!

I agree about the whip thing that's supposed to pick up everything. It's hard to pick up anything with it, a waste of money. I like the foodsaver I have because if you seal veggies that will last tons longer in the frig.

Two appliances I love are my crockpot (easy meal prep) and my electric vegetable steamer. Before buying the steamer I wasn't much of a vegetable eater. The steamer makes them taste much better and it's so easy to prepare them. My kids even eat broccolli, now. Priceless!!

I have the betty crocker fill and bake system.OMG!!!!!! I LOVE it...ITS so easy and a wonderful addition to my kitchen..

I have the spin and save kit Deborah was asking about..Its cool...Not RUBbERMAID but works,and I do not even lose the tops..lol

I have some of the same gadgets mentioned and feel about the same as the others do. I am interested in how you keep a journal of the tips you are interested in. I have a bad memory problem and need something I can refer back to. Thanks.

Have any of you ever tried the Magic Bullet? What did you think?

Has anyone tried the Xpress101? My Mom and I saw the infomercial and she seemed to like it. I thought I might get it for her for Christmas. Just wondering if anyone here has one and likes it.

Thanks,

Debbie

It's been a while since I've seen one on sale, but they come around again every decade or two.

The miniature sewing machines, travel or kids-sized, that are supposed to hem pants and do other wondrous quickie sewing are WORTHLESS! Because they don't have a bobbin system, the thread is not secured at all and doesn't hold anything together.

I've owned three, over the years, bought from garage sales to try. My first one was 35 years ago and they've never improved the model.

I WANT SO BAD TO TRY ONE OF THOSE EXPRESS 101'S. I HAD BOUGHT A FOOD PROCESSOR SOME TIME BACK. THEN I GOT THE ITCH, THINKING I JUST HAD TO HAVE A MAGIC BULLET. SO I BOUGHT ONE AND GAVE MY DAUGTHER MY PROCESSOR. DUMB!! ANYWAY, I NEVER WAS TOO IMPRESSED WITH IT. BUT MY OLDEST SON LOVED IT TO MAKE HIS HOT SAUCE WITH SO I GAVE IT TO HIM. THEN I HAD TO HAVE ANOTHER PROCSSOR! I'LL BET I'M NOT GETTING RID OF THIS PROCESSOR EVER!!

I absolutely went nuts when I saw the Swivel Sweeper - but my niece accidently overcharged the battery, and it wouldn't hold a charge for more than like 30 seconds...so, I bought a replacement battery - which won't hold a charge either...it's really too bad it WOULD work great in my kitchen - I have 2 large dogs...

-- The Green Bags -- don't work!!