Great Happiness

Steve Goodier

The telephone rang and I reached to answer it.

"Hi, Steve," said the voice on the other end. "I just wanted to see how you're getting along."

I had not heard from my old friend for many months. It was good to talk to him. I wondered why hadn't we kept in touch better.

Toward the end of the conversation, he said, "If you need me in any way, I'll be happy to help out." And he meant it!

That call came at just the right time, as they so often do. I needed those words of encouragement. I hung up the phone feeling a satisfying lump of warmth in my chest.

And that day I re-learned something important about life: life is primarily about people -- not plans and schedules, not to-do lists and a million tasks left undone -- it's about people.

To love and to know that we are loved is the greatest happiness of existence. And happiness seems to be something that is in short supply for too many of us! My friend reminded me that it is never enough just to love; we must also express it. What good are our affectionate feelings toward others if we don't find ways to let them know?

George William Childs put it like this: "Do not keep the alabaster box of your love and friendship sealed up until your friends are dead. Fill their lives with sweetness. Speak approving, cheering words while their ears can hear them and while their hearts can be thrilled and made happier. The kind things you mean to say when they are gone, say before they go."

Happiness ... may be just a phone call away.

About The Author: Steve Goodier Publisher@LifeSupportSystem.com is a professional speaker, consultant and author of numerous books. Visit his site for more information, or to sign up for his FREE newsletter of Life, Love and Laughter at http://LifeSupportSystem.com.

You are so right! The time to use the admiring words is now. It may make the difference in somedone's day that you may not even fathom. A kind word sincerely meant and expressed is a balm for anyone (most of us) who have gone through a day worn thin by the workaday world.

Pile of green apples.
Selecting Good Apples
Delicious Looking Beef Dinner
Tips for Finding Great Recipes
Chinese "Double Happiness" Ornament
Making a Chinese "Double Happiness" Ornament
Photo of cherries hanging on a cherry tree.
Growing Cherries (Cherry Trees)
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 25, 2017 at 4:22:48 PM on 10.0.1.55 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.