My Frugal LifeFrugal Living

Gratitude Not Attitude

I posted this on a Facebook coupon group I belong to, and got over 650 responses! It is my original writing, not someone else's.

Gratitude, not attitude...

Last week Lowes was giving away gift cards in denominations from $5 to $1500. As to be expected, most cards were $5, which is what I got. I saw some posts from people saying they "only" got $5. I felt it was $5 that I did not have before. I applied it to toilet paper.

This week I got a similar email from Staples. The amount was not revealed until checkout time. I applied the law of probability and got some Bounty paper towels on special for $5. When I got to checkout, the cashier told me I "only" got $5. I told him that it was $5 I did not have before and I was happy to have it.

Some people posted that such a small amount of money was not worth it to them.

We all receive many small amounts of money, whether it is a discount, a coupon, or a free product. Are we going to scowl because it was not more, or are we going to be thankful for the blessing it is?

The attitude of gratitude attracts more things to be grateful for, and equates to a content and peaceful life.

You are correct Judy, be thankful for any amount not because it is only "$5". Definitely money we did not have before. I am always thankful for any savings whether it cents, or dollar amount. It's always a good feeling to save. :)

Thank you for your kind response.

Great essay. My family got $35 during this Lowes promotion and we were thrilled! I got $10 and my son got $25. We were able to buy a pack of strawberry starts (my son's choice), some sale violas, a succulent and a small package of grass seed. I think we paid pocket change for the difference. Of course, we would have loved to get one of the larger prizes but I felt like a winner anyway.

And if we had only gotten $5 each, we still would have been happy.

The promotion impressed me so much that I have decided to switch to Lowes instead of Home Depot for those sort of purchases. They are in adjoining parking lots so there is no real hardship to me and I'd rather give my money to a company that values their customers in ways like this. The prices are always about the same anyway.

Thank you. I was astounded at how many people responded to my Facebook post, and every one positive. I had some people telling me that they were going to change the way they looked at things after reading it.

Thanks for reminding us that our lives can be richly blessed - even in small amounts.

Betty

Thanks for great essay and the reminder to be grateful for the small and large things in our lives.