Dog With Rough Paws

My dog has rough paw pads. Is there anything I can do to make them softer so they don't scratch me?

By Bonnie1944 from Leesburg, FL

Hi Leesburg, from Ocala, go to your local feed store (seminole feed) get a product called Chapgaurd. It is actually a type of udder cream for cows but works great for rough chapped skin. Is non-greasy and pleasant smell. comes in 1 lb. tub. we used it on my fiance dog's feet for same problem worked great!

Agree with another poster who mentioned "Bag Balm" in the green 10 oz. tin; it's put out by the Dairy Association Co. and available at Wal-Mart.

In a pinch, though, the main ingredient in this stuff is basically Vaseline/petroleum jelly.

Both remedies are on the greasy side, so we apply sparingly and massage it in thoroughly; blot the dog's paws with a towel afterward so you're not getting greasy paw tracks throughout the house and on the furniture.

Saw another poster mentioned Chapguard, and as being non-greasy; I'll have to try to find that one!

For preventative measures. We have hounds used for hunting (they are also pets). There is a product called 'Pad Kote' made by Happy Jack dog products, and is usually avail in any rural area that has a feed store. It may be available elsewhere. It is painted on the toes and pads to help toughen them up---they don't get dry and scratchy, but helps to protect their pads when they are out doing their jobs. Of course, this can't be used on irritated, broken, or blistered skin.

Anonymous

There are some products you can buy at petsmart or pet co and I heard that vaseline works as long as they don't lick it.

According to the vet at the animal hospital we take our dog to you should never ever soften the pads of a dog's feet. If they are softened, then they can be easily cut or damaged which can lead to infection. Leave them alone, it is a normal thing for the pads to be rough.

My golden retriever has rough paws and they would also get sore in the winter. so once a week i gently rub in warmed olive oil. take your time and really work in (my dog loves this and would lie still for hours) it protects the paws from winter as were in SD and have lots of winter! Plus it softens his pads and they aren't so rough and its all natural.hope this helps.