RefinishingFurniture

Antique Desk With a Leather Top

Category Refinishing

I just purchased a really cute, antique desk. I want to repaint it, to update the look, but the problem is, it has a green leather top. I had thought about covering the top with fabric, covered board, than placing a piece of glass on top of it, but I was informed the cost of glass would be more expensive than the desk I bought (ugh). Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for covering the top of a desk without damaging the leather?

Thanks
Mary from Seattle

Have you thought about dyeing the leather to match your new finish? Clean it with saddle soap, make sure its dry, then rub on some shoe dye or even just a darker shade of an old fashioned paste type shoe polish might do it. Buff it really well with a soft cloth and it should look like a brand new piece! Good Luck and have fun with it!

I buy glass all the time and it doesn't have to be expensive. Most cities or towns have a salvage-type yard where they sell used building supplies. They cut the glass to your specifications and it's really inexpensive! I once had them cut a six-sided piece using a paper pattern I had taped together! It cost less than $15. My rectangular pieces are usually $5 or so. I use glass tops on almost all my furniture in the house. The furniture always looks clean, tops look great, wood is undamaged and you can quickly clean with a spritz of water (add vinegar if you want to) and a microfiber cloth.