Making Anti Dust Mite Pillowcases Mattress Covers

I'd like to know if anyone knows how to make mattress and pillow covers at home that keep out dust mites. Every morning when I rise my eyes look and feel like I have the flu, in fact, this starts as soon as my head hits the pillow.

I have priced the special pillowcases and choked from sticker shock. My Mother is a very talented sewer if we just knew what kind of fabric to buy and even I can sew a pillowcase by hand if necessary.

We just need to know what fabric to use and where to find it.

Thanks.

Linne from Florida

I am also allergic to dust mites. I have taken shots for 3 1/2 years and have another 3 to go. I purchased a front loading washer (Whirlpool duet) as it has a sanitary cycle. I wash all bedding once a week and while they are drying, I vaccum the bed and pillows. This has helped me a lot.

I found some zippered pillow protectors at Family $ store today. They came 2 in a bag for $2 . I napped to take them for a "test drive". They helped some but I am still interested in any Ideas.

I wondered if Chintz fabric would be a solution.

Linne,

It looks like the thread count of the fabric is what is important. The really good dust mite covers have a 240 thread count. Your best bet might to be to find really high thread count pillow cases and add a zipper. The problem could also be animal dander that is getting to your eyes and if so, this won't help much.

Susan from ThriftyFun

I am also allergic to dust mites and my allergist told me that the material "suffocates" the dust mites...the pillow cases I have seen have a plastic interior.

P.S. I was miserable like you are until I purchased a dehumidifier....Dust mites cannot live below a certain humidity. I saved up but it was worth it and now I do not buy all that allergy stuff and I feel fine.

I was watching "Oprah" the other day and they had specialists on dust mites and similar things on the show. They recommended vacuuming your mattress pretty often and laundering sheets and pillowcases at lease weekly. Discard of any old (2+ yrs) decoritive pillows you may have as well as regular ones. Your regular ones you sleep with however can be washed but should be dried fairly quickly or they will smell. Also remember to add a touch of bleech with all of these items to kill any bacteria as well. The average human loses millions of skin cells every hour of every day, most of this happens at night when your skin sloughs off as you move around between the sheets. That is mainly what dust is, it is skin cells, and that is what the dust mites eat. Gross! You can also try showering and wearing full leangth pjs to bed. Hope this helps somewhat. No ideas on the fabric though I just found a cheap $20 one at a discount store.

I cannot get rid of mites.

For a thrifty pillowcase buy a twin bed sheet 250 or higher. These are usually far cheaper than the larger size sheets, especially on sales where they give you a teaser twin sheet price. Cut this up to size, you should be able to get several cases from one sheet. Instead of making a traditional case make a sham style where the fabric overlaps in the back to seal in the pillow so you don't need to use a zipper. I use a flap going half way down the pillow.

I wonder if dry 20 mule team borax spread under pad and sheets along with into carpet in bedroom would kill these boogers? It doesn't hurt anything. In fact it is a cleaner that is mined not chemical.

Rendering of a dust mite on a white background.
Getting Rid of Dust Mites
Crafts SewingNovember 6, 2004
Anti Virus Software Search
Anti Virus Software Information and Reviews
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover
Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
Homemade Anti-Wrinkle Mask Recipes
🎄