Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Dog is Acting Strange Since Taking Rimadyl

Pin It

Does anyone have a dog start acting odd after taking Rimadyl? The lab work came back OK but since my 17 old pit mix started taking Rimadyl, she goes off by herself at home which she never used to do. The vet doesn't see anything wrong. Her eating and bathroom habits are all normal. She'll even go off into another room to sleep all night which never happened before. Previously it was more like we'd wake up to her snoring and realize she's laid across our legs for half the night!

She still likes her long walks and all that but at home I have to call her out from the back room several times a day this past week. I have 2 other dogs so she has company. We do lots of hiking and as much playing as her hip allows. Anyone have a similar experience?

D.H.

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By DEBY [18]01/10/2010

Hi, is she taking the rimadyl for her hip? My moms baby has to take it for his back legs. I believe since the vet has found nothing wrong she is probably finding it a lot easier to relax without the pain now so she takes advantage of that fact. The medicine works wonders, my sister is a vet tech at the humane society and my moms baby couldn't even use his back legs so he takes it all the time. Also being 17 she probably just wants some alone time but most of all I'm sure its just plain old comfort now that she is on the medicine. Good luck and keep us up to date. Deby

By Louise B. [4]02/07/2009

I am a cat person, and have little experience with dogs, but if she was a person, I'd say she wasn't feeling well, or was depressed. This sounds like a side effect of this medication. Are there alternatives?

By (Guest Post)02/04/2009

I,too, threw out the Rimadyl and put them on Glucosamine and Condroiton. I found that I can buy 100 tablets for $9.99 at Trader Joe's. They have been and still are working as well as what I bought from the Vet.

By Pat (Guest Post)02/04/2009

My dog Gretchen was on it for a year. She also became a bit antisocial, however, we did have her for an extra year before we had to put her to sleep. I am grateful for that!

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)02/04/2009

I'm not an expert, but an animal usually goes off to be by itself like that when it doesnt feel well.

Best of luck. You're a good parent. (smile)

By doshe [2]02/04/2009

My vet took my dog off it. If you look it up, there are deaths associated with this drug as well as other symptoms. Pfizer, the maker, didn't want to say that death could be caused so FDA pulled their ads. It does say it on the box now, but from what my vet said, it's a dangerous drug.

By kidsNclutter02/03/2009

You can always "google" (or other search) Rimadyl. That will allow you to read about the drug, usages & side effects, including warnings. You will also see other users' comments about their pet's experiences on it.

By D.H. (Guest Post)02/02/2009

Thanks for the responses! I was pretty concerned the first few days.

She's already on glucosamine/chondroitin. Luckily she does seem to have picked up a little in the last 2 days but I was hoping for a bit more. Not sure if we'll continue the Rimadyl yet.

Amazingly, she still wants to jog whenever we can but I have to be very careful on the terrain because she has one bad hip and if she loses her footing at all; she goes down pretty hard.

We may still do a surgical procedure to denervate the hip joint capsule which is supposed to have very good results with almost no recovery time. Otherwise she's in amazing shape for her age!

By Patty Zion [6]02/02/2009

Yes. We had almost exactly the same experience with our previous dog. He definitely was not himself when taking Rimadyl, so we took him off it and started him on Glucosamine and Condroiton for his mild arthritis. Not sure if this is an option with your dog, but I would talk to the vet to find out.

By lee (Guest Post)02/02/2009

It depressed my dog also and I wont let him take it anymore.