Canister for Vacuum Packaging

Has anyone used a canister from vacuum packaging (like Seal-A-Meal) for food storage? We have gone through so much expensive salad in a bag (my daughter likes it) before its time that I am seriously thinking about purchasing the larger canister just for bagged salad storage in the fridge. I already have the Seal-A-Meal machine. I have been using it to vacuum pack meats for the freezer with FoodSaver bags as those are the only ones available where I live. I like it. No complaints. Bought it at Target on sale some time ago. It's the VS 110 BCD.

Holly from Richardson, TX

I use the cannisters all the time and they work really well. I have the Black & decker ones plus the food saver ones. Use them both. Keep nuts in one of them at all time.

I have the foodsaver vacuum canisters in several sizes and use them a lot. I don't have good luck with the bags, however. But the large canister is great for storing chopped lettuce. I place a folded dry paper towel in the bottom. chop the lettuce, or shred it....whichever is your preference. Fill the canister, and place another dry folded paper towel on top. Seal and store in the fridge. Depending on the quality of the lettuce, it will stay fresh for 7 to 10 days. Sometimes I take a second canister and chop onions, bell peppers, celery, and carrots and store in much the same way. If you add cucumbers and tomatoes, it shortens the life of the veggies. I also store salad dressing in a canister. I make my own Blue Cheese dressing and it keeps very well...I make a month's supply at a time. Take 1 quart of mayonnaise, 24 oz container of sour cream, combine, add garlic salt to taste, then take about a cup and put in your food processor or blender with about 1/4 pound of Bleu Cheese (I use Danish Blue). Process until smooth and add back to the others. I use low fat products and only use the small amount of cheese, but if you are not restricted, you could add more cheese. crumbled, to the dressing. Store it in the canister. It is quite thick, makes a good dip also, but don't thin it unless you just thin the amount you are ready to use immediately. If you thin it a little in the canister, the whole batch will turn watery thin. Otherwise, it will keep for several weeks.

Harlean from Arkansas

Food and Recipes StorageOctober 22, 2006
Robot Vacuum
Robot Vacuum (Roomba) Reviews
Frozen Veggies
Storing Vacuum Sealed Food
Upclose photo of beige carpet.
Cleaning Carpets Without a Vacuum
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale