Setting Up Dual Monitors on Your Computer

How do I connect two monitors to my computer? I use two at work and need two at home, also. I know it takes a special cable, but not sure what it is called.

By LeeAnn from Little Rock, AR

It doesn't take a special cable you need another video card (and a normal cable and monitor). Once installed you will have a primary monitor and a secondary. As long as you are running Windows XP or newer you shouldn't have much trouble configuring it.

Actually, I just remembered you CAN get a signal splitter and almost do the same thing. The problem with the signal splitter is it only "duplicates" what your main monitor is showing so you actually DON'T have dual monitors. Which is what I think you are really after.

1) I'm assuming that you already have one monitor functioning with your home computer; now add another Video Card to your computer (following the Manufacturer's instructions).

2) From the CONTROL PANEL, click on the DISPLAY icon.

3) After you've installed the second Video Card, the Display settings dialog box has a new tab, labeled MONITORS [that replaces the standard settings tab]. Select the MONITORS tab.

4) Your primary monitor should already be configured properly; select the secondary display/monitor combination and choose USE THIS DEVICE AS PART OF THE DESKTOP. Set the other properties as approximate; dragging to set relative screen placement for the two monitors.

5) To change the resolution of the second monitor, click the SETTINGS button and make the appropriate changes.

6) Click 'OK' to register your changes.

TIP: you can opt to install a 'Dual head' graphics card [REPLACING YOUR PRESENT VIDEO CARD] which sometimes provides a better performance than the two individual cards.

A girl using a computer with two monitors.
Setting Up Two Monitors on a Computer
Computers UpgradingApril 4, 2010
baby sleeping by grass
Setting Up a Green Nursery
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Cleaning a Laptop Keyboard, Photo of a laptop keyboard.
Laptop Computer Tips and Tricks
A stack of CDs or DVDs
Saving Money On Computer Software