Use Old Dresser as a Computer Desk

I decided to decorate the spare bedroom in a "country" theme, but it still needs to house the family computer. I bought an old dresser with one long drawer in the center, and 3 drawers on each side, with the center open for a chair. The center drawer face was broken anyway, and my keyboard fits perfectly in there. I plan on removing the drawers from one side, to use for the CPU, with the monitor on top, and the other drawers to store paper, ink cartridges, etc.

This way, I can still have my computer area without having a modern looking desk. It can still look like it came from Grandma's.

By fatboyslimsmom from Many, LA

Top Comment

I did that too. It was so much fun to use something different and this is small, doesn't take up much space. It is an old piece that I found at a craft show that had been craft show painted with roses, flowers. I feel in love with it. It's 5 X 5. It has opening and two small drawers on right and two open cubbies on left. The open cubbies hold my hard drive on it's side (works great for my needs) and the one above holds my HP printer (works great for my needs).

The drawers hold my paperwork and receipts, etc. Top surface is 2 1/2 deep and perfect for monitor, keyboard and mouse. Doesn't take up much room, is decorative. I've had people comment on it and praise it. They love how compact it is and loved the way it's painted and decorated. I have plenty of room on the right side for a lamp, and other needs as the keyboard, etc. only takes up left half of top. I have a small area underneath on left side where I keep telephone books, etc. Let's hear it for us resourceful ones.

Top Comment

I made one of these for a friend, and hung a small homemade curtain panel over the opening that houses the cpu. It hides the modern cpu which doesn't fit with the country theme yet still lets in enough air to keep the cpu from overheating.

What an ingenious idea! You will have a functional desk, but it will look like country-style furniture at the same time. And, you probably didn't pay any more for the dresser than you would have a modern computer desk.

Congratulations and God bless you!

This is a great idea! I would love to see the "finished" product. I am a firm believer in recycling vintage pieces for modern uses. Thanks for sharing!