How to Make a Temporary Computer Desk

Category Tips
Computer Desk
If you are not ready for a permanent solution for your computer workspace, finding a workable temporary option is best. This is a guide about how to make a temporary computer desk.

I decided to decorate the spare bedroom in a "country" theme, but it still needs to house the family computer. I bought an old dresser with one long drawer in the center, and 3 drawers on each side, with the center open for a chair. The center drawer face was broken anyway, and my keyboard fits perfectly in there. I plan on removing the drawers from one side, to use for the CPU, with the monitor on top, and the other drawers to store paper, ink cartridges, etc.

This way, I can still have my computer area without having a modern looking desk. It can still look like it came from Grandma's.

By fatboyslimsmom from Many, LA

Top Comment

I did that too. It was so much fun to use something different and this is small, doesn't take up much space. It is an old piece that I found at a craft show that had been craft show painted with roses, flowers. I feel in love with it. It's 5 X 5. It has opening and two small drawers on right and two open cubbies on left. The open cubbies hold my hard drive on it's side (works great for my needs) and the one above holds my HP printer (works great for my needs).

The drawers hold my paperwork and receipts, etc. Top surface is 2 1/2 deep and perfect for monitor, keyboard and mouse. Doesn't take up much room, is decorative. I've had people comment on it and praise it. They love how compact it is and loved the way it's painted and decorated. I have plenty of room on the right side for a lamp, and other needs as the keyboard, etc. only takes up left half of top. I have a small area underneath on left side where I keep telephone books, etc. Let's hear it for us resourceful ones.

Top Comment

I made one of these for a friend, and hung a small homemade curtain panel over the opening that houses the cpu. It hides the modern cpu which doesn't fit with the country theme yet still lets in enough air to keep the cpu from overheating.

I need a computer stand but I don't want to buy one because I will be given a nice computer cabinet in a few months. Until then do you have any frugal ideas as to what I can use to sit my desktop computer on in the living room?

Onesummer

Best Answer

Use cinder blocks to hoist up a plank of wood, or milk crates to hold them up.

Best Answer

Last time I had this dilemma I used the box the computer came in. Leave the packing styrafoam in it for support and throw an old tablecloth or towel over it. Set it on the printer box if it is not high enough.

Best Answer

A hollow type door will work nicely. Use cinder blocks for the legs or support or use 2 small filing cabinets - then you have drawer space also.

Best Answer

My hubby and I both have our own computer. We use a door for the top and put a 2 draw filing cabinet on each end to hold it up. Very sturdy and works great for us.

Good luck