Thick Webs on My Pear Tree

My pear trees have thick webs that cover parts of branches. I have been told they are probably a worm of some sort but not sure what kind or how to get rid of them.

Betty from Orange, TX

They are called tent worms. All you can do for them is to spray them or to cut the branches off and burn them. Check them out on the net.

Tent caterpillars or worms used to be thought deadly to the tree, but now they just recommend cutting off that part of the branch and burning it. Each year we seem to have a different bug or weed that gets a lot of attention in the media, and then the next year it's just another little nuisance.

You can spray sevin dust into the web and on the ground around the tree to kill them too.

These are called web worms or bag worms. If you just a have a branch or two within reach you can just cut that branch out. Here in Texas they are really bad this year due to the amount of rain. I went to my local feed store and bought the last bottle of stuff (can't remember the name) they had. The worms come out at night to feed and they said if I sprayed it on in early evening around 6 or 7 they would get it in their systems. It is a type of bacteria to kill them. Hope this helps.

Well, much to my surprise, my little fuzzy caterpillar coddling moth babies crawled out of their tents and headed down the overhang of my roof right to the covered rain barrel, and guess who was waiting for every last one with a baggie? I'll bet I caught 500, and yet, they LOVE a vine growing wild up one end of my home and I'm gonna let them EAT IT AWAY!

lol. I can't reach it, so I'm probably the only person

happy to see them there. However, there are PLENTY

of tents in my fruitless Mulberry and I'll bet they'll eat every last leaf in a few weeks, leaving me HOT

in the yard. However, even there, it's perhaps for the better because it overshaded my wild garden I need to clean out again. I do believe that I also have a "Gardening" Angel watching over our property. LOL

If your's are light green and fuzzy, they do not sting.

The solid green ones do not either. They aren't asps

but take it slow if you need to flick one. I've stepped on a few out of necessity, as well. The baggie works

well because I can barely touch their hair and they

]give a jerk, falling into the baggie like a charm right to the bottom on top of each other. The media

says they're EVERYWHERE this year, so I'll be on the alert trying to get those tents down to burn, and to

catch anymore on my rain barrel. God bless you. : )

Home and Garden Gardening WeedsJune 5, 2007
Pear Trees Not Flowering
Pear Trees Not Flowering
Spider Web
Photographing Spider Webs
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Making a Christmas Tree Topper
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree