Training AdviceDogs

Sneaky Chewer

We found a QueenslandX dog about 9 months old that no one claimed. We are trying not to take her to our high kill animal shelter but she is a chewer. I mean she chews EVERYTHING - even takes a loaf of bread off kitchen table - cat toys, furniture, clothes, you name it.

She grabs the items when no one is in the room and then takes it outside or in a corner and chews it when no one is around. We find it later and you can't punish her when you can't catch her at it! She howls, barks, scratches, etc if you try to lock her in a room or even in the backyard away from us.

Otherwise, is a good dog, great with cats. HELP!

Karen

Dogs are different from cats. I found this out when my new dog chewed up my new (worn one day) shoe. I left my shoes under the coffee table, which was never a problem when I just had cats. You will have to "dog-proof" your house and not leave anything out where your dog can get to it until you can train her. My cats helped my dog get and eat an entire bag of chocolate chips from the back of the kitchen counter. This cost me a trip to the vet to have his stomach pumped out so he wouldn't die. The vet said he had never seen a dog eat so much chocolate. Your dog may have gone for a while without food and be afraid she won't get any more. Treat the dog like you would a child. If you can't see her, assume she's doing something bad. Mine also went through a stage where he panicked when I was away from him and destroyed blinds, doors, etc. He got over it after he realized I wasn't going to abandon him. I have to tell him "You stay there. I'll be right back" every time I leave and he now understands I mean it. It comforts him. I started telling him that when I would leave the room for a few minutes and gradually made it longer and longer times that I was away from him. Petsmart.com web site has a lot of good articles on training and your vet should help with ideas, too. Chew toys (that can't cause her to choke when you aren't there) may help curb her appetite and calm her down. Also, are you sure you're feeding her enough dog food?

I would take her to the vet to make sure there is nothing wrong with her, ===I think she is afraid that she will not have " her home ' for very long, sounds like she was a throw away pet ! Please be pateint with her,and gentle, give her her "own " things to play with and chew, how bout a giant chew bone !

Is this a Queensland heeler...like a blue heeler? They are working dogs and get bored VERY easily!...They also do not do well in the backyard alone. They like to be part of the action. That's their nature. You might have to try to involve the dog in more of the family activities! Once she gets used to you though she should be a very loyal, smart, and protective dog. She may have been unwanted to begin with and so wasn't trained properly. She's still young though, and she can't help it. It will take some patience on your part. If you absolutely can't keep her, is there any way you could contact a rescue group for her specific breed? They would be much better at finding a forever home for her than your local shelter if it's a high kill shelter. We adopted our Great Dane from a rescue home six years ago when he was 18 months old. It took almost a year for him to calm down, He still had a lot of puppy in him plus a lot of anxiety from home hopping. Now he's just a big lazy dog that everyone wants!...He has his days though when he has a mind of his own!

I have 2 that almost chewed my house away 7 it's contents away. They just grew out of it. I lost a lot of stuff but I really don't even remember much of it now. By age 2 she should have grown out of it. But the others have good suggestions in the meantime.

Lots of chew toys! Don't leave him alone for a second, and use a spray called Bitter Apple on furniture and things that you want to discourage him from chewing on (I've even sprayed it on my shoes and legs to keep my pup from chewing on me)!