Planting Canna Lilies

I have Canna lilies in pots and since transplanting them the leaves have gone limp and fallen over. Will they come back? What can I do to help them?

The pots are in a south facing yard with bright sun throughout a good portion of the day. The overnight temperature has not dropped below 7C since they were planted. I have Canna lilies in this location every year and this is the first time this has happened.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By Kal from Alberta

Answers

There are some on our property that grew up on their own---possibly from squirrels digging up my MIL's and putting them in my yard. The ones that are near damp areas do the best.

May 18, 2010 Flag

I have planted some Canna lily bulbs on a partly shaded hill in my backyard next to some Norwegian spruce. There is some evening sun there though. I planted them March 15th and planted them 6 inches deep. Do you think they will make it? Thanks.

Sandi

Answers:

Planting Canna Lilies

I think 6 inches should be OK for Cannas, as they are a tropical plant, they won't start to grow until the soil warms up. As for planting next to an evergreen, I usually plant mine beside one and they've done wonderfully. I've never heard them called canna lilies, unless you mean Calla lilies, which are something entirely different. (04/16/2009)

By Wendopolis

Planting Canna Lilies

Yes, they will make it, my friend had hers dug up and put in a ditch. They came up. I got some of them to choke out weeds in my flower beds. They did just that. They multiply every year, good luck. (04/16/2009)

By kffrmw88

Planting Canna Lilies

We seem to be talking about two different flowers here. Cannas, which I have, are very tall plants with large green leaves and red or yellow flowers. The bulbs must be lifted each fall. Kffrmw88 appears to be talking about naturalizing lilies that folks grow in ditches to choke out weeds and don't need to be lifted. (04/16/2009)

By Wendopolis

Planting Canna Lilies

I planted Cannas for the first time last year. I had them in several locations. I planted 4 in a shade bed behind my garage. They did come up, but it took them a lot longer and they were much smaller with smaller blooms that came on very late in the season. The ones in full sun did much better, taller, bigger blooms earlier.

When I dug them in the fall, the shady ones did not multiply as much as the others. In this location they got early morning sun and evening sun.
I was told a rule of thumb is double the height of the bulb when planting. So a 3 inch bulb would be 6 inches deep.

As far as putting them out early, they should be fine as long as the frost is out of the ground. They will stay dormant until the ground warms up enough. I haven't set mine out yet. In Iowa the weather is too unpredictable yet. (04/23/2009)

By JWheeler

Planting Canna Lilies

I have a "killer" green thumb meaning almost every plant I try to grow I kill, except Canna lilies. I have two varieties and each do very well in full sun. I live in SC, they are planted in sandy soil, with gravel mixed in, in full sun. This year a few were covered by a Crepe Myrtle growing bigger than usual and that stunted their growth spurt so much. The ones receiving full sun are approximately three to four feet high already. Planting them the depth you have them at should do fine, I would just make sure they get adequate sun and water. (05/24/2009)

By HICKCHIC3

Home and Garden Gardening BulbsMay 18, 2010
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Growing Foxtail Lilies
Orange Day Lilies
Getting Rid Of Day Lilies
🎄
🍂