Growing Canna Lilies

Category Bulbs
Canna lilies add a bright, lush, tropical feel to any garden. This is a guide about growing canna lilies.

Botanical Name:

Canna x gerneralis

Growing Hints:

Southern zones can plant bulbs outside in the spring. To give them a head start, zones north of zone 7 should start bulbs indoors 5 weeks before the last frost date. Pot rhizomes in a soil-less mix, pointed end up and barely cover them. Keep them warm (75ºF) and slightly moist until new growth appears. Then move them to a sunnier location and feed every two weeks with a 1/2 strength houseplant fertilizer. Move plants outdoors when danger of frost has passed.

Interesting Facts:

Cannas can be dug up in cooler zones and stored until the following season. Dig them up after the first light frost and cut the tops back approximately 6 inches. Don't bother cleaning soil off the roots, just set them in damp peat moss and store in a cool (40ºF to 50ºF), dry place.

Rhizomes should be checked throughout winter and watered lightly if needed to keep roots from shriveling.

Suggested Use:

beds, borders, landscape accents and container plants

Life Cycle:

perennial rhizomes

Planting Time:

spring after danger of frost has passed

Height:

dwarf types 2' to 3; standard types 5' to 6'

Exposure:

full sun

Soil:

rich, moist, well-drained soil

Hardiness:

perennial rhizomes 8 to 11; over winter indoors in cooler zones

Bloom Time:

late spring

Flower:

variety of bright colors including fire-engine red, hot pink and shocking orange.

Foliage:

bright green, blue-green, deep red or tiger striped

Propagation:

rhizomes
Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Make sure that your canna lilies get enough sun, the right amount of water, and the right kind of fertilizer to produce blooms. This is a guide helps solve why canna lilies are not blooming.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

If the leaves on your cannas are ripped, one reason may be insufficient watering. This is a guide about why canna lily leaves are ripped.

Various garden insects can do damage to the leaves of your plants. Discovering the culprit can help you get rid of them. This is a guide about something is eating the leaves on canna lilies.

I have a small garden in my backyard. I have canna lilies and half of them are growing to the fullest height and some aren't growing that tall, but are prematurely blooming. What could be causing this growth problem?

Answers

They need at least a foot or two between them

Too crowded.

Did you plant these at the same time? Are you sure they are the same type as different species of canna lilies grow to different heights.

Were these in pots before you planted them in your yard? If so, it appears that you should have separated the bulbs and planted them in individual sites as they need room to grow. Another thing about lilies is they need water and sun.
Here is an excellent site that has very clear instructions on how to grow canna lilies:

https://plantca  /canna-lily.html

Funny you should ask....the shorter ones were actually in a shallow pot. But yes, they are the same... Thank you for your advice!

I planted my cannas a month ago and I followed the directions on the tag. They look brown and are not growing at all. I have them on a dip system so they are not being over or under watered. I just don't know what is going on with them.

We purchased them from a nursery. The dirt was dry to the touch, but no flowering just the green leaves. I bought 10 of the tropical cannas and all of them look brown. I need help, too much money was spent on these plants.

Answers

You might have canna rust, a fungus. Remove all affected leaves and apply a fungicide. Make sure your plant is getting enough sun and air circulation

So if I cut all the leaves off and the stalk is the only part of the canna is left will it grow back? They are in the sun up to six to seven hours . Thank you I will cut the leaves off and apply the fungicide.

It will grow back. You have to cut off the bad parts or it spreads.

I love these plants and when I had them, the brown was always from lack of water. I am assuming you have them outside like I did.

Because to me they are pretty low maintenance, I would sometimes forget to water when it didn't rain and they would brown out. I would have to do the deep watering they talk about here. So it could be as simple as your dip system isn't giving them enough water.

questions.gardeningknowhow.com/.../#why-my-canna-lilly-leaves-are-turning...

This site talks about salts, which I have no idea what they mean (maybe someone else here knows). Water and good sun always made for a lovely display (when we had a typical Pittsburgh rainy season or I remembered to water of course).

Good luck!!

First thing to check would be to check that your drip system is actually providing enough water as this is crucial, especially since they are in full sun (very hot?) most of the day.

• I do not like cutting my lilies all the way down when they are still in very hot sun most of the day (I live in Florida) but lilies usually grow well if watered correctly and several hours of sunshine each day. Hopefully, your lilies just need to be acclimated to full sun (original green leaves may mean they were growing in some sort of hot house).
  • More info on possible causes: Too much fertilizer can cause foliage burn as well. If this has occurred flush the fertilizer with heavy applications of water. It's best to use slow release fertilizer when possible.
  • Make sure when watering to water heavy enough to soak the entire root system.
  • If you think it could be Canna rust then you need to check out remedies on this site:
  • Symptoms
  • Easy-to-identify symptoms include spore-like, orange spots visible on the plant's leaves. Sometimes, the spots may spread onto the stems. As the infection progresses, the upper parts of the leaves develop a blackish-brown appearance. Such leaves are prone to fall prematurely.
  • homeguides.sfgate.com/signs-symptoms-dying-canna-lily-91502...
  • www.doityourself.com/.../identifying-and-treating-canna-lily...

I don't know why, but my cannas won't unravel it seems as if they continue growing, but are sown together with these little black dot looking things. They are aligned in the center of the plant. It looks like it's eating the plant as well. Please help me.

By Brianna

Answers

I have always heard them called Leaf-rollers. If you break the webbing and carefully unravel the leaves, you will find the worms. Put some kind of bug poison on it to kill the worms or you will have no blooms. I fight them every year.

I know I am supposed to cut back my cannas and my banana plants. Is it too late? Also when is a good time to transplant the cannas?

By nancy nunez from Longview

Answers

I dig my canna bulbs each year and put them upstairs for the winter! I've not lost any yet. The only one I've transplanted was a rescued discounted orange canna. It did ok but didn't bloom last year. I did get several bulbs off it though, so this year I will have more plants. After planted mine usually grow to between 4 and 7 feet tall.

I have Canna lilies in pots and since transplanting them the leaves have gone limp and fallen over. Will they come back? What can I do to help them?

The pots are in a south facing yard with bright sun throughout a good portion of the day. The overnight temperature has not dropped below 7C since they were planted. I have Canna lilies in this location every year and this is the first time this has happened.

Please help.

Thanks.

Hardiness Zone: 3b

By Kal from Alberta

Answers

There are some on our property that grew up on their own---possibly from squirrels digging up my MIL's and putting them in my yard. The ones that are near damp areas do the best.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Photo Description
I love flowers and I love gardening! Canna lilies are one of my old-fashioned favorites because they are low-maintenance and easy to grow. Both their flowers and foliage offer long-lasting color in the garden and come in a huge array of colors. I love the yellows with a hint of orange in the throat. Here, I converted a particularly nice photo to a black and white image, and it is just as lovely. Flowers are such a joy to brighten the day!

Photo Location
Buford, Georgia

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 13

Photo Description
I purchased this aquatic plant at my home improvement store. They are seasonally available there. This water plant was planted in soil in a pot and then placed in my pond using some pond rocks around the top part of the pot to hold it more securely in my small pond. When it was purchased there was not a label on the color type on this plant. After 3 months and growing almost 6 feet. Here is my wonderful color surprise! I just love it!

Photo Location
My back yard in York, South Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

We saw this bright and beautiful flower outside of a restaurant that we visit from time to time. I have never seen an iris this color before.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

I have planted some Canna lily bulbs on a partly shaded hill in my backyard next to some Norwegian spruce. There is some evening sun there though. I planted them March 15th and planted them 6 inches deep. Do you think they will make it? Thanks.

Sandi

Answers:

Planting Canna Lilies

I think 6 inches should be OK for Cannas, as they are a tropical plant, they won't start to grow until the soil warms up. As for planting next to an evergreen, I usually plant mine beside one and they've done wonderfully. I've never heard them called canna lilies, unless you mean Calla lilies, which are something entirely different. (04/16/2009)

By Wendy

Planting Canna Lilies

Yes, they will make it, my friend had hers dug up and put in a ditch. They came up. I got some of them to choke out weeds in my flower beds. They did just that. They multiply every year, good luck. (04/16/2009)

By kathleen williams

Planting Canna Lilies

We seem to be talking about two different flowers here. Cannas, which I have, are very tall plants with large green leaves and red or yellow flowers. The bulbs must be lifted each fall. Kffrmw88 appears to be talking about naturalizing lilies that folks grow in ditches to choke out weeds and don't need to be lifted. (04/16/2009)

By Wendy

Planting Canna Lilies

I planted Cannas for the first time last year. I had them in several locations. I planted 4 in a shade bed behind my garage. They did come up, but it took them a lot longer and they were much smaller with smaller blooms that came on very late in the season. The ones in full sun did much better, taller, bigger blooms earlier.

When I dug them in the fall, the shady ones did not multiply as much as the others. In this location they got early morning sun and evening sun.
I was told a rule of thumb is double the height of the bulb when planting. So a 3 inch bulb would be 6 inches deep.

As far as putting them out early, they should be fine as long as the frost is out of the ground. They will stay dormant until the ground warms up enough. I haven't set mine out yet. In Iowa the weather is too unpredictable yet. (04/23/2009)

By Janet

Planting Canna Lilies

I have a "killer" green thumb meaning almost every plant I try to grow I kill, except Canna lilies. I have two varieties and each do very well in full sun. I live in SC, they are planted in sandy soil, with gravel mixed in, in full sun. This year a few were covered by a Crepe Myrtle growing bigger than usual and that stunted their growth spurt so much. The ones receiving full sun are approximately three to four feet high already. Planting them the depth you have them at should do fine, I would just make sure they get adequate sun and water. (05/24/2009)

By APRIL