Speech Ideas for Receiving an Award at Work

I will be receiving an award at work soon and would like to express my thanks to my coworkers. I am very shy and would like to know what to say after receiving the award. I am looking for something quick and short. I read in a book that the 2 words "thank you" is really all that is needed. Can you advise?

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By joan pecsek 88 545 01/09/2008

Say something like: "It's hard for me to express myself because I'm so shy. But believe me when I say "thank you" because it comes from the bottom of my heart."

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By (Guest Post) 01/09/2008

Stating something about how much this award means to you to receive it; how much it is appreciated and making sure to thank all those responsible. Long speeches are boring, but a few direct to the point statements holds everyone's interest and you won't appear shy, but confident.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Myrna 15 1,062 01/09/2008

State how much this award means to you. Thanking those responsible in helping you to obtain such an award and that you appreciate those who noticed your skills, work ethics and who felt you earned this honor. A few direct statements makes you appear confident and not shy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 01/11/2008

"You are very thoughtful and while I am not eloquent, I consider your gift a very wonderful one and I thank you very much."

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Janice C. 18 710 01/13/2008

Congratulations on your award. You have a good employer who recognizes good people and obviously wants to keep you.

How about something like "Thank you for this award for ______. I'm very pleased and honored to win it this year. It means a lot to me. Thank you to my supervisor (name) and my co-workers (names, names) for helping me to do my job well."

I feel it will be more professional if you mention the award and how pleased you are to receive it, rather than to say how shy you are, with the possible inference that you do not deserve the award. Trust the people who are giving the award. They say you deserve it, so you deserve it. Congratulations again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No