2010 Phone Scam Warning

This morning I was awakened by a telephone caller who politely asked "Mr. X please? May I speak to X?" I replied "Yes, this is he; who is this?" She said: "You need to verify that this is X first; please tell me the last 4 numbers of your Social Security!" "WHAT?" She repeated the request and I again asked her who she was and only got the same request to disclose my 'last 4'. At which point I told her that she was absolutely crazy and told her to send me a letter.

BEWARE! The scammers are really cranking it up early for Christmas!

By cajun62234 from Collinsville

Those low lifes will stop at nothing will they? :-( And the sad part is so many people out there are too trusting! This is an excellent tip to share, Cajun!

The IRS and SSA have already put notices in our local paper stating that they do not ask for your information on the phone or by e-mail. Please take all precautions before giving out information. Don't fall for the 800 # that they give you, it re-directs you to a fake telephone number. Always look up your numbers from home before calling them.

Definitely, it is sad that there are people in this world who will try anything to scam people and have no conscience at all. What scares me is that there are people who will unknowingly give out information (like those with the beginning of dementia and Alzheimers) without realizing they are being scammed.

And for the rest of us, we just have to be more vigilant. If you have caller id and a number appears, report it to the Do Not Call registry. Can't hurt.

LI Roe

Sounds like a seedy little bill collector to me. It is illegal for them to disclose private info to any other person than the one they have a business relationship with.

Avoiding Financial Scams
Avoiding Financial Scams
Budget & Finance Identity TheftNovember 18, 2010
Phone Holder
Making a Phone Holder for a Cordless Phone
Pink Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cleaning a Silicone Cell Phone Case
Cell Phone User Making call with Card
Saving Money on Phone Cards
Stack of Old Phone Books
Uses for Old Phone Books
🎄