Make Your Mattress Last Longer

There are so many mattress ads on TV now and they are telling us how long we should keep our mattresses. I thought you could use a mattress for 20 years, but they are telling us 7-8. But then, I turn my mattress in the old-fashioned way - upside down and top to bottom - to rotate the wear. I let my mattresses air out the morning after we use it before we make the bed. All of this goes toward giving us more years on our mattress.

By pamphyila from L.A., CA

I love this idea, especially since I'm a major anti-consumer, lol!

The only down side for me is, my spoiled rotten dogs would find the uncovered bed and I'd have a pillow full of dog hair - allergy misery! It's a great idea, though. You got my vote!

My bed never gets made right away. However, a lot of the mattresses now are made so that they don't have to be turned over, which is a good thing because my shoulders are so poor that I can't begin to lift the side of a mattress. Also with these new mattresses the bottom side isn't finished like the top side.

Also can add more bed slats for better support of the sleeper and the mattress and springs.

You know I just said the same thing to my husband last weekend. My mattress is guaranteed not to sag for 20 years!

Also if you use a mattress cover / pad and wash it regularly your mattress will remain clean. Regular vacuuming doesn't hurt either. Here we are as a society trying to be thriftier, greener, reuse, recycle, and repurpose everything and they want us to replace our mattresses every 7 years!