Growing Grass in a Yard with Dogs

What is the best way to grow grass in an area where 2 large dogs like to play?

By Becky Ann from Madison, OH

We have four dogs and live in SC and they suggested bermuda grass. I am not sure of what grass is good for your area but I would check with a reputable landscape company.

Along with the grass problem we have huge oak trees and to tell you the truth we haven't found anything that will grow but I do have shade flowers around the edges and everybody thinks I have a beautiful yard even without the grass. I left a run between the fence and the flowers because dogs like to protect. I have 4 dogs in our yard and it was either the dogs or grass, I chose the dogs.

When me and my ex-husband first put our grass seed in the ground we had to cover the seed up with straw. Maybe you could do the same.

Well, choose between which is more important to see outside, the grass or the dogs. The peeing on the ground is going to burn the soil. I just buy lots of grass seed when on sale, sprinkle it out regularly, rake it in, water. Watch the birds take some and the wind, sprinkle it out again, mixed with some dirt this time. Hmm. Got the lint from the dryer, mixed some in there and watered it down. Tried lots of things. Guess the dog wins. It is not much of a path, but you can tell her path in the yard. She likes to go out into the grass to pee, that seems to be good, it is the soil where winter kill happens and the allowment of her leash length that all stops at the same area.

August 23, 2011 Flag

Is there anything in the stores, such as a mesh, that I can put down so my grass can grow? I want to protect it from my dogs. It is dying where they run on it.

By Jade

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Two ways to handle this-create a path of some sort of hard scape where the dogs like to make trails, or plant a grass that wears better.

Which grass variety is dog and kid traffic hardy in your area is best determined by a visit to a good local plant nursery, or checking with your local extension office. To find your local extension office Google the words extension service and your local university in one search term. You will more than likely find all of the information you need online at their pages free of charge.

I have read this solution but have yet to try it. Am thinking about trying it this year. To keep dogs and cats out of an area. lay some Poultry Netting down over the area. The grass can grow through and the mower blade should not even bother it. You should use several U shaped large pins to hold it down to the ground.

Dogs in Yard with Grass
Growing Grass in a Yard with Dogs
Home and Garden Gardening LawnApril 5, 2009
A no dog pooping sign in someone's lawn.
Keeping Dogs From Pooping on Grass
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Johnson Grass
Getting Rid of Johnson Grass
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
🎉
🎄