Fixing Grass Damaged By Dog Pee

Category Lawn
Excessive dog urine can cause brown spots on your lawn. This is a guide about fixing grass damaged by dog pee.

Q: Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the grass to grow back or to not be brown where my dog pees in the yard? I hate to have a nice green yard and then have spots here and there that are dead from the dog urinating there!

Mandi from Erie

A: Mani,

As long as you have a dog running or tethered in your yard, you are probably going to have some burn spots. One thing that I would strongly advise against is giving your dog any of the commercial "additives" to change the pH of the urine. These have been known to cause serious damage to the kidneys. It's the salt in a dog's urine that causes the grass to burn (not its acidic nature), and these so-called additives can seriously affect your dog's health down the road. The best remedy for avoiding burn spots is to flush the area thoroughly with water every time your dog urinates. The water will act to dilute the salts to a safe level for grass.

For repairing dead spots, remove the dead grass and loosen up the spot with a small shovel or spade. Add some compost and fresh soil and reseed the area.

Ellen

Answers

Best Answer

It is very common for dog's urine to cause this problem. We have found that preventing it from happening is the best remedy. We buy a product called "Green-UM." You can find these on different Dog supply web sites or catalogs. (Do a Google search) There are other similar products.
They are an all natural supplement/vitamin. They are pills you give the dog or crumble on their food. Our dog takes them with no problem. They protect against "Lawn Burn."
To get rid of the existing burned out areas you can crush and sprinkle these pills on the area. I would rinse the spots really well with your garden hose first and loosen up the dead grass with a rake. Once the acid is diffused you could put on grass seed.

Good Luck!

Best Answer

We get the same thing; and our dog is perfectly healthy! What we do is keep a bottle of water by the door, and when we take her out to go, immediately water the spot to dilute the urine.

Not an "easy" solution; but the alternatives were not ones we like. There is a remedy you can buy that is supposed to help it; but our vet advised against it, because altering the pH of the urine is asking for bladder/kidney problems.

Another alternative would be to try to train your dog to go only in one spot....would be work to begin with, but would be worth it.

I don't like the brown spots, either; but love the dog; so the trade-off is worth it.

Best Answer

When I go to pick up the doo-doo, I pick the brown grass too. Sometimes it comes up easy if it doesn't leave it. It will leave a dirt area but the grass will grow back. I used to buy the grass seeds, fillers and such and found it was more trouble then removing the brown dead grass. If you remove the dead grass area it will grow back. If you leave it and add seeds, fillers, sprays you're still not removing the problem. It's dead grass. So just pull it up and it will grow back with usual watering.

I tried the tomatoes. Hoax for my bulldog!

Any answers for getting rid of the dead spots in the lawn caused by my dog urinating on it? Or maybe something safe that I can give him that will help stop killing the grass?

By Pam L. from Madrid, NY

Answers

"Don't" ever give your Dog anything internal or external unless prescribed by a Veterinarian and sometimes we have to decide what we value most in life the lawn or the Dog.

Anonymous

The lawn for sure

My lawn has yellow spots. My back yard is common ground. How do I get rid of the numerous yellow spots from my neighbor's dog urine and prevent the dog from pooping on occasion in my yard, especially near my patio.

My neighbor thinks its OK to let the dog pee in my yard. He cleans up his poop, but I want his dog to go some place else. Are there any products or treatments?

By Cooleydog from St. Charles, MO

Answers

Anonymous

Why should you have to repair your yard damage because of a neighbors pet? If you do not have a dog and/or there is a leash/restraint law in your area I say tell your neighbor to keep his dog in his own yard or you will have to report him to the proper authorities for not having his dog tethered because you're tired of damage to your property! Phooey about political correctness and niceness with your neighbor because he's not being considerate and doing the right nice thing to you!

As for the current yellow spots, what I would do is metal rake the dead spots and re-seed.

First off, stop allowing the dog to do his business in your yard. It's nice that the neighbor cleans it up, but you can't expect the dog to understand what he can and can't do in your yard. Very politely ask your neighbor to take the dog somewhere else. Then, get an ultrasonic trainer, and use it every time you see the dog in your yard. It emits an ultrasonic sound that only the dog can hear. They don't like that sound. It's akin to fingernails on a chalkboard. Eventually the dog will associate going in your yard with an unpleasant experience and he will stop going in your yard. The absolute best one is from Invisible Fence. Good luck. :-)

Is there such a thing as dog pee resistant grass? My dog is neutered, but his urine is still killing the grass. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hardiness Zone: 2b

By Deb from Lloydminster, Alberta

Answers

Purchase a bottle of Green Grass pills at your local pet shop. It is made by Nutri-Vet. Feed your dog those every day and your problem should be solved.

Anonymous

Nope.. it doesn't work gave my dog 6 pills them max for months .. still killed the grass don't wast your money..

My dogs have peed on my grass that I just planted a month ago.
What can I put on it to help it come back to being green again?

By Mary

Answers

I don't know what you can put on the grass to make it stop, but what I do know is you can try to train him to go in the rocks because the chemicals in the pee make stuff die.

I have been told that I need to add tomato juice in with my male dog's food to assist with neutralizing his urine to prevent brown spots from his urine. Have you tried this and is it safe? We are having grass installed in our back yard and we want to enjoy the little bit we will have in the back yard.

By Tricia from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

Hello,
I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your baby to his Doctor to find out why his urine is so concentrated. Have a urinalysis done and then you Dr. can tell you what do do from there. Drinking more water would certainly help dilute his urine. Please do not add anything to his food unless a Doctor tell you to do so. Good luck.