Protecting Your Lawn from Dog Urine

Category Lawn
Excessive amounts of dog urine in one area can damage your lawn. This is a page about protecting lawn from dog urine.

What is the best way to neutralize dog urine so that every time he goes, he doesn't kill my lawn?

By Wally from UT

Answers

Your dog needs more water so that the pee is undetectable. A dog which gets enough water, is not dehydrated and so like humans, will pee fairly clear. Catch your dog peeing and capture a sample for the vet to check. Yes, it is easy. My dog on leash (German Shorthair) kept her inside, pushed fluids, and when she whined to have to pee now, I leashed her up, put on rubber gloves in case she/I missed, and followed her out the door. I had a huge new disposable cup that when she squatted to pee, I got my cup full. She did not care as she had to go now. And did and gave the sample.

Marks on Lawn from Dog Urine

Does anyone know what to do when your female dog urinates and burns the lawn each and every time? We are giving her tomato juice with her food, which we were told would offset the acid in her urine.

Thanks,
Terry from Fall River, Nova Scotia

Answers:

Marks on Lawn from Dog Urine

Best and easiest way is to dilute it by using a bucket of water or your hose. Training a dog to use an area made like a sand box for all "business" is worth the time it takes and easy to cleanup. (08/02/2007)

By Rod

Marks on Lawn from Dog Urine

I have read that adding vinegar to your dog's water will neutralize the urine so it doesn't burn the grass. I forget the ratio of vinegar and water. Maybe someone has that information. (08/02/2007)

By Laura

Marks on Lawn from Dog Urine

The idea that female dogs' urine is more damaging than that of males has been disproven. They probably paid some scientists big bucks for that research project. It's only because females tend to pool all the urine in one place whereas males tend to sprinkle more widely. If the urine is diluted sometime within up to eight hours, the effect of the urine is entirely healthy for the lawn, supplying nice nutrients. Let the female dogs be innocent! or at least only as guilty as the males. (08/02/2007)

By Kim Churchman

Marks on Lawn from Dog Urine

Tomato juice, in and of itself is acidic. I would think that would make the problem worse. I agree with the sandbox method.

There are plants that thrive on acidic soil. Perhaps you could devote a lawn section to those plants and train her to go there (?) (09/17/2007)

By U*u*U

Is there a way to neutralize dog urine? My very large dog is killing the grass. I've heard putting apple cider vinegar in their drinking water will neutralize it, but he doesn't like the taste. Any suggestions?

By deb from Lloydminster, Alberta

Answers:

Protecting Lawn From Dog Urine

Well, urine is a concentrated nitrogen blast to plants, just like burning with too much fertilizer. You can actually use urine (mixed 20 to 1) as fertilizer, though I doubt most will do it unless they just want to experiment, or the time comes when we can't get fertilizer. The problem is it's hard to tell where the dog went, until the lawn browns. If you could tell where it went, just blast spot with lots of water.

It's true, vinegar neutralizes ammonia which is the burning agent, but after the fact, it's not going to do you any good. The best thing is to watch where pup went and flush spot with water. Or train her to go in one area, and by flushing with water daily, you increase the odds of grass living. (02/02/2010)

By PENNY K

Every where our female dog urinates outside kills our grass. Can anyone help save our lawn?

Home and Garden Gardening LawnJune 20, 2016
📓
🐛
😎
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Protecting-Your-Lawn-from-Dog-Urine.html