Protecting Your Dog from Ticks

Category Health
Protecting your pet from ticks is preferable to having to remove an infestation on your dog. This is a guide about protecting my dog from ticks.

Ticks are early around here this year for some unknown reason. And they are really bad! We have cut the walking distance for our 2 dogs down considerably and they still get them. My 9 year old Golden has had a season's worth already. He doesn't do well with the topicals, and I'm getting scared of all the stuff out there. Anyone have any suggestions?

By Stormwatcher from PA

Answers

Best Answer

Your dog has bad problems with topical, what problems? It sounds like you need get to a vet and find out else what you can do if the dog has physical problems with topicals.

If it's the expense of the medication; you need to check out the sales and save because it's your responsibility to care for the dog properly.

You can also check the dog religiously after your walks, keep your grass short, etc. It takes effort, but you can really keep ticks to a rare occurrence if you simply watch where you walk your dog and check them thoroughly afterwards.

Best Answer

I have been reading about rose geranium essential oil and it repels and kills ticks at least that is what they say. I have just started using it and so far so good but time will tell. I had been pulling about 20 a day off of Lucy and there are none this morning. it smells good too. You are just suppose to put 2-3 drops on their back once a week. Never use essential oils on cats.

I have been seeing fleas on my dogs. Even though they are bathed regularly, fleas and ticks are still there. Any sugestions on how to remove and avoid them? Thanks.

Answers

Despite your best efforts, your dog can still get fleas and ticks. Make sure you lawn is mowed, rake up leaves and keep shrubs trimmed. You can also go to your garden center and see what will repel opossums, coyotes, raccoons, and skunks, and untreated cats and dogs. They can deposit flea eggs into your yard.

You do not say if you have a personal yard area or if you are using any flea and tick medications so some of the suggestions may not apply to your problem.
Fleas are a big problem but ticks are even more so. Ticks can carry several different diseases that can be a problem for pets and humans.
Hopefully your veterinarian would give you some information on flea and tick control as well as recommending a monthly flea and tick control medication.

Some people use something like 20 Mule Team Borax or Diatomaceous Earth (food grade only) to sprinkle around their house to kill and control fleas.

http://www.theb … ous-earth-fleas/

Here are a couple of sites that give some instructions on control but you will have to apply it to your own home environment.

https://www.asp … /fleas-and-ticks

http://www.wiki … Around-Your-Home

http://www.vets … -tick-prevention

I have been using Advantix on my little puppy and haven't had any problem with fleas, but I can't say the same about ticks. She got one only 3 days after the application and then I started keeping her indoors and 2 weeks later she got another tick - while inside. Any advice on protecting the puppy and/or ridding the yard of ticks?

Kelly from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

I have had great results from a natural product called diatomaceous earth. It's crushed fossilized sea life - when the ticks and other bugs crawl over it, their outer shells are sliced and they die. It's a fine powder much like baby powder and can be dusted on animals, dusted in the yard, and can even be fed to animals to kill intestinal parasites. We order ours from our local co-op. Just look up some info online and/or ask at your co-op. It's a fascinating product with no toxins! Safe for you and your pet. I hope this helps. Good Luck! (05/05/2006)

By Reba

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

We've used a product called Natural Chemistry De Flea Pet Shampoo. It's safe on all age of cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies. It's also safe for nursing and pregnant animals. (05/06/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Oops forgot to mention, it works on ticks and lice too. (05/06/2006)

By halloweenfreak

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Wow, I can't imagine anything "slicing the outer shells" of a flea or tick. I know eggshells and other sharp edges will slice slugs and soft skinned "critters", but ticks? Glad they don't have them in Alaska, they're too gross!

The only thing that I'm aware of that really worked in getting rid of fleas and ticks was to keep tall grass/weeds cut back, and pine needles or tree leaves raked up and removed from the yard. The worst infestation I saw was in Louisiana when a friend had raked pine needles over her flower beds to protect them during the winter. Apparently the bugs were drawn to the spots where they also spent a nice dry, warm winter season.

(05/08/2006)

By Thissie

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

I wouldn't use a chemical on an adult dog much less a puppy. I think you've been advised badly. The diatomaceous earth is the way to go. I use it too. It dries up the insects. I put it around the yard for ants and around the perimeter of my house for all bugs. It's natural, but don't let the dog sniff it anyway. If you had a really bad flea problem I might see using a chemical on them briefly, but I haven't had a flea problem for at least 10 yrs. It's not a given that they'll get fleas. (05/09/2006)

By Vic

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Try Frontline! I've not had ticks on my dogs since starting to use it. Check with your vet, although you can get it from some pet stores now. (05/09/2006)

By djp

Protecting My Dog From Ticks

Scott's has treatment that can be put on your lawn for fleas and ticks. We use Frontline on our dog. It seems to work well. We live in a very wooded area. Gary (04/06/2008)

By Gary