Getting Rid of Ticks in Your House

Category Ticks
A tick being removed from a pet's skin.
When pets pick up ticks outside they frequently leave them in your home, where they can become an infestation. This is a guide about getting rid of ticks in your house.

I live in West Texas and my yard and the inside of my house are infested with ticks. I just had to take a litter of gsp to the shelter because I thought they would have a better chance. I've treated my yard with Orthomax, Sevendust, and Orkin. I have dipped my dogs, powdered them up, cow tags, you name it. The only thing I could treat the puppies with was K9 Advantix and that didn't even work. Help please.

Victoria from West Texas

Answers

Best Answer

I had a tick infestation once. They were very hard to get rid of. One thing I learned was to do everything at the same time...shave and dip the dog, spray the yard and house. Also check with your neighbors. If they have ticks, they need to treat everything the same day you do. Good luck.

Best Answer

Depending on where you live you may not be able to do this. My former neighbor had chickens that occasionally "escaped" to my yard and we never had a tick problem. I didn't think anything about it until he and his chickens moved and we were over run with ticks. We did the 4-wheeler/spray thing to the point that dead ants clogged our gas meter so badly that it had to be replaced. The ticks came back. I went to the flea market and bought a grown hen so the cats left it alone. No ticks! Took a couple of weeks, but I now have 3 hens, a rooster, fresh eggs and no ticks.

We went on vacation and there were ticks. I washed all of our clothing before returning home, but still found 4 ticks, my husband had 2 on him. What can I use inside my house to make sure I get rid of them? What can I clean with?

You do not say that you have pets so it would seem that ticks just traveled home with you in your luggage, car, clothes or on your person. I believe that I would wash all of the clothing over again just to be sure.

Here are a couple of sites that have some good information on killing ticks inside your home (and outside if necessary).

https://homerem  edies-for-ticks/

http://www.wiki  cks-in-Your-Home

You need to wash your clothes in hot water. You need to dust your home with pesticide and you need to treat your pets. This article from ehow will help you http://m.wikiho  Around-Your-Home

Can ticks get in my bed?

Answers

The easiest way to get rid of ticks in your home is to use a boric acid and botanical extracts pesticide. You will need to sprinkle this around your home to kill the adult ticks and their eggs. Either use the powder or spray for your home. You will need to use it all over your house for it to work correctly.

Put boric acid where you have seen them. You can also use a pyrethrin based pesticide to kill the adults

I live in Central Florida and am battling ticks indoors and out. We have a large Shephard and a 2 year old daughter. We have professionally sprayed a number of times. I have had my dog shaved and dipped. He has a flea collar and we use Frontline. I am going crazy!

Emily from Central, Florida

Answers:

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

Try using Borax on your carpets and baseboards with vacuuming. Make sure to leave it on there for at least 20-30 minutes to penetrate the fibers. You can easily find directions online or on the box.

Borax is great for cleaning fleas, ticks, bugs, etc. When I make my carpet cleaner/deoderizer I always add Borax to it to help with the insect/bug problem in my area of Florida.

Hope this helps! (01/11/2008)

By bjgould1213

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

I feel your pain Emily! My home is infested with ticks right now too. We have a 10 year old daughter and a 90lb. German Shepard. The feeling of seeing these ticks crawling up my walls and out from under baseboards is VERY disturbing. We have spent over $400 in the past 4 weeks on pest control to rid us of this and still we are getting up to 20 ticks a day that we pick up and flush.
I was wondering if you tried the Borax thing yet? Did it work. I am desperate! My dog is treated with Advantix and a collar so he is getting bites but they are not sticking to him. Thank God.
Just wondering if since you posted this a week ago if you've tried anything thats worked?
(01/18/2008)

By Melissa

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

Get some bug killing "granules" from Wal-mart or other garden center. The granules last longer. Everytime they are wetted down they release more. Just spread around the yard with spreader and wet down with hose or sprinkler. Make sure they are labeled for ticks. Be sure you get around under any trees and shrubs well. There is a tick collar called "Preventic". It lasts for about 3 months for your adult dogs. It does nothing for fleas and you have to get it from your veterinarian, but it does work. (01/19/2008)

By junebug_000

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

I have done an experiment and found the 20 mule borax does not kill ticks. I placed 2 live ticks in a small container of borax and the next morning they where still walking around, so that does not appear to work. (03/10/2008)

By wre11

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

I too live in Florida and I too am having problems with Ticks this year. I have the dogs on k9-advantix and on the preventics colar, which works pretty good except for their feet. The ticks are hiding in their toes, are there any treatments or things that can be done to stop them from going there?

Also what are the granuals that where mentioned for the ticks in the yard, as I believe the ticks are in the hedges around the house, should the leaves be treated or just the base? Any product work better then any other? I was given something by the vets but that does not seem to be slowing the ticks down. (03/12/2008)

By wre11

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

I sympathies with all of you suffering tick infestations. I live in the Tampa area and spent $1,600 and probably 200 hours of my time getting rid of ticks over the last year. The good news is that it worked and my 2 dogs were totally tick free for 8 weeks. The bad news is they're back now, but not out of control yet.

Don't spend money on professional pest services. I did, and it did not work. Once the ticks are out of control, it's extremely difficult to get rid of them. Have your dogs shaved. Hair grows back. Bathe the dogs once a week with tick shampoo from Petsmart. Use a tick collar. Advantix did nothing for me. Remove ticks from the dog daily. Siphotrol is a spray you can buy from your vet to use inside the house. Spray once a week until they stop crawling the walls.

Keep the carpets cleaned and vacuumed. Pick up all clutter so there is no where for ticks to hide. Wash pet bedding weekly. Rake leaves and all ground cover from the yard. I finally removed every bush from the back yard so there was no place that couldn't be easily treated. Unfortunately ticks like shade and I have alot of trees. Bayer granules can be purchased from Lowes to spread in the yard. Use weekly for a month, then monthly. I'm switching to Bayer spray now because the ticks have become immune to the granules. If your neighbors don't treat their yards, the ticks will come back.

All I can say is if I see a single tick now, I don't waste any time going all out to get rid of them. There is no fast, easy solution. Good luck to you all! (06/19/2008)

By Tired of Ticks

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

We live in Naples as well. Tonight we pulled 3 ticks off of our dog a yorkie/ weener dog mix. Tonight we found another 9 in our bedroom on the carpet and one on the sheet in our bed (wife's side) when we pulled back the covers to look. My wife is now sleeping in another room. Our thoughts are to call Truly Nolen tomorrow - should be interesting. I've heard that eucalyptus works perhaps a spray is available. (06/22/2008)

By Phil

Getting Rid of Ticks in My House

Do a search on Diatomaceous Earth. It is 100% natural and effective against ticks, while still being safe for humans and pets. Buy only Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth - there is a "filter grade" that is not safe for pets and people.
(06/25/2008)

By Mammajenni