Several Uses for Nylons

Need a (rubber) band, a head band, gift wrap or small tourniquet in a hurry? Use an old nylon stocking that has been cut in strips to securely tie, organize or wrap small things together. Simply cut old knee highs or panty hose in 1/2 to 1 inch strips and use them instead of rubber bands. Old colored hosiery cut into bands make a nice alternative to those unsightly rubber bands.

Nylon bands can also be cut to use to tie a "small" boxed gift if ribbon isn't handy. Add a neat sticker or two and Wallah! You have a last-minute wrapped gift and saved yourself a trip to the store. You can think of dozens of other uses for the little nylon bands.

By Pat from San Diego, CA

Somewhere down the road I heard, but have never done it, that one can use old nylon pantyhose for storing opened rolls of wrapping paper. Stick a roll in each leg and proceed to hang the garment w/paper inside in a storage closet, I would imagine directly over the rod. Sounds good huh?

I keep a few pairs of them in the trunk of my car. They are far better than rope to secure the lid when hauling, and I lose nothing if I have to cut them to remove items.

I work with small kids doing all sorts of crafts and I decided it would be neat to make plant buddies out of nylons. Here it is:

What you will need:

1 pair of old nylon pantyhose

scissors

drinking glass with a wide mouth

rubber band

measuring spoon

2 Tbs. grass seed (Rye works the best)

1 1/2 cups sawdust

Big googly eyes

Pink pipe cleaner for mouth

Directions:

Cut off one leg of the pantyhose about 10 inches from the toe.

Place the toe of the panty hose into the drinking glass, until it just touches the bottom of the glass. Stretch the cut end around the top of the glass, and secure with the rubber band.

Pour the grass seeds into the toe of the stocking.

Gently pour the sawdust on top of the grass seeds, trying not to mix the two.

Slide the rubber band down the glass until it releases the stocking. Then, remove the stocking from the glass.

Squeeze the nylon together just above the sawdust, tightening the seeds and sawdust into a ball in the end of the stocking, making sure that there are no gaps between the nylon and the sawdust and seeds.

tie a tight knot at the end of the nylon.

Cut the extra nylon off.

Decorate your Grow Buddy with eyes, and a mouth.

Place your Grow Buddy in a bowl of water, grass seeds up, Place the dish in a warm sunny place. Keep a little water in the bottom of the dish, so that it remains moist.