Dealing With Thin Eyelashes

I am interested in helping my very thin eyelashes in a healthy way, if possible. I would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks.

JK from Rifle, CO

Before I was considered "old enough" to wear make-up, I used to put a small amount of petroleum jelly on my lashes. It clumps them together and makes them look thicker. I just now tried it again and it dosen't do as much as mascara, but it works well enough. Just to be safe, get a small container of it just for yourself. You don't want someone else in the house to put a casually washed hand in something you will be putting right next to your eyes!

Anon, and best wishes

Londa

I sure wish I knew THAT secret! I tried the vaseline thing, but it would melt w/ body heat, and leave me a little blurry-eyed. I learned camoflage(?) instead. If you have a relatively steady hand, you can take liguid eye liner w/ a very fine brush and dot between lashes, then a very fine line across as close to the lashes as possible. Proceed w/ your reg make-up, including "normal" liner. Hope it helps...

I barely have lashes either. I love to use either max factor 1000 calorie (my old standby) or Maybelline Intense XXL Volume & Length Microfiber Mascara. The primer is awesome. i could not believe the diffrence it made in my lashes! It does clump and you have to use several applications to achieve the look you want. my daughter has awesome lashes so she has to be careful putting it on or she'll endup looking like a 60's model! I just make sure I have a mascara comb and use that.

HTH

Same problem, it developed with age when everything you don't want thinning is and vice versa! Anyway I've found that when I apply my mascara, good old Maybelline with the curved wand, using it "backwards" I gently press the wand to the base of my lashes before I pull it up and out. It creates a liner effect without having go through lining your eyes first. Give it a try and maybe it will work for you, too.

BEEN USING MASCARA SINCE 1963. HAVE TRIED ALL THE ABOVE WITH PRODUCTS MENTIONED....EVEN FALSE EYELASHES....

AND THIS IS WHAT WORKS FOR ME....MABELINE HAS A MASCARA THAT GOES ON WITH A COMB....IT IS WATERPROOF & YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT INBETWEEN BUILDING THE LASHES UP. IT DOES

NOT LOOK CLUMPY EITHER. ITS CALLED "lash stylist". ITS IN A BLACK TUBE WITH BLUE LETTERING ON IT. I ALSO USE A SOFT DARK KOHL EYE PENCIL TO LINE MY EYELID FROM CENTER TO

THE CORNER. WORKS GREAT & MUCH EASIER THAN LIQUID

STUFF, PLUS HAS A SOFTER LESS HARSH LOOK. SO GLAD

THEY KEEP IMPROVING PRODUCTS FOR WOMEN :-D

anbsmommy

I recommend a website called Just for Redheads, that's where I get mascaras in shades other than Black, Black, Black. Ginger Brown is nice on my eyebrows and Cocoa something is my lashes one. Much more natural and real-looking, I don't need railroad tracks running around my eyes.

Hi again, forgot to mention the best color to use in mabelline's "lash stylist" is brown. The black is too intense! The best part about this product is you can use as little or more for what suits you. I love it as I have sparse, short light grey/brown lashes. It adds depth, length and thickness as you want it. :-)

Same problem here! Short, thin and stick straight out. My fiance and I went to have pics made at a studio that was supposed to do my hair and makeup. It turned out they didn't have much makeup and no hair styling products at all. Needless to say, they did not have an eyelash curler either. I have to use one of these. Lucky for me, there was a Clinique booth right outside the studio and I went to ask her for an eyelash curler and she said she could help me. She used this mascara that brushes on and then you turn the brush over and use the comb side and it flipped my eyelashes right up! Not only that, they looked longer and more beautiful than ever before! Needless to say I went back after the photo shoot and bought a tube of High Definition Lashes! I have used it every day since. I had never used any clinique makeup before and this saved the evening and my pictures also!

I found my favorite drugstore mascara, finally. It's by Jane Cosmetics and it has one side with lash conditioner/builder and the other side is mascara. Works like a charm and doesn't clump, chip, get stiff, smudge. It makes my lashes look so much thinker.

I usually start with one coat of conditioner on one eye, then do the other eye. I go back to the first eye and apply conditioner again with special emphasis on the outside of my lashes (the ones towards your ear).

I don't let the conditioner dry and then start with the mascara. I do let the mascara dry between coats, it doesn't take long and then apply as many as a total of three coats. I don't use my eyelash curler until after all of my mascara is dry; this mascara keeps the curl all day, too.

I happen to like the glamorous look though. I think it costs around %5.99 a tube and I get it at Walgreens drug store which is pretty much all over the US, but they do have walgreens.com.

I hope you have as much good luck with this as I've had! Smoochie

Thank you to everyone who responded. I appreciate all of the tips. All of you have solved my problem.

Sincerely,

JK

I have always had very thin eye lashes, so I've been doing this for over 30 years now. I always pat my eye lashes (eyes tightly closed), with powder. I usually use face powder that matches my skin tone, but have also used baby powder and it works too. Also, don't use waterproof mascara, unless you really need too. I have noticed that it's more difficult to get it off, and we need to be gentle with the lashes we do have. Blessings!

I also have thin short lashes so I use a lash curler then put a dab of styling gel on a lash comb then I apply rimmel eye magnifier eye opening mascara in a black/brown shade. PERFECTION!

May 4, 2011 Flag

As I get older my eye lashes seem to have gotten shorter and less full. Does anyone have any tips to make my lashes fuller and longer?

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

Just a caution. One of the medications I was prescribed for glaucoma did a wonderful job of lengthening/thickening my lashes, BUT it can change the color of your eyes towards brown or cause brown spots. My doctor recommended with my clear blue eyes to not take a chance. Loved the lashes, but not ready for an eye color change after all these years.....

I agree with dorinmoz - Castor oil is the best remedy!

Monique :)

Over a month ago I started using a product I found in CVS that's by Physicians Formula. Over the counter. It's an eye liner in a silver container. You can buy it in black or clear. It's a liquid, costs less than 12 dollars. And I can see such a noticable difference in my lashes. I used to have long lashes that seemed to go away as I've gotten older. I'm 53 next week. And it looks to me like my lashes are back to the way they were in my 20s, I even had women ask me again, what type of mascara I use. But I know it's this product . It has taken about a month and a half to see results. I only put it on in the morning with my makeup, I take all makeup off before bed. I figured for 12 dollars I couldn't go wrong really.

I found the best mascara called "falsies" it is in a bright pink container and it lengthens and thickens my lashes like magic. For the first time in years you can actually see my lashes! I love this product, it runs about $5-$6.

Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceMarch 30, 2008
A woman with fake eyelashes.
Wearing False Eyelashes
Eyelash Glue
Removing Eyelash Glue from Clothes
Open tube of mascara with brush prominent.
Saving Money on Mascara
Weak and Thin Fingernails
Remedies for Weak and Thin Fingernails
🎄