Ride Bike on Ozone Action Days

I know how to avoid Ozone Action days. When it gets to be about 89 degrees F out, get out the bicycle and ride. Of course you'll need the following things to do this:

• A helmet to protect your head just in case you crash your bike.

• Water bottles. Avoid BPA bottles. Polar Bottles are great. You can find them at Dick's Sporting Goods or from Polar Bottle themselves.

• Head and tail lights to ride at night, or if you are like me get a helmet light.

• SPF 90 or lower sunscreen.

Oh and if you want to beat the heat, just take the water and wear it.

By bentcrazy39 from Springfield OH

Biking it is really not 'avoiding' ozone action days but I applaud you for helping to not create more ozone problems on those days! Another thing you should have with you is a pair of sunglasses. I am giving you a thumbs up for being conscientious but I would be quite remiss if I didn't share warnings along with your enthusiastic advice first. ;-)

If a person has 'any' respiratory problems, including asthma, it's best not to exert oneself and to limit any time outdoors at all during ozone days and it's also important to know that children are also at a high risk. It's best not to do this during the hottest hours of the day even if you're in great shape because of the possibility of heatstroke even if well hydrated and especially if it's a high humidity day.

Limit the time you're riding and ride at an easy pace.

Solid "green" thinking. And Deeli, good point.

Just thought of this: if more of us biked it, there would perhaps be fewer ozone action days.

Better Living Green Living Planet HealthAugust 16, 2010
Riding a Bike in the Winter
Riding a Bike in the Winter
Rusty bike leaning against a stone cottage wall.
Removing Rust from a Bike
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
A boy on a horse taking horseback riding lessons.
Learning to Ride a Horse