Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Herbal Relief for Back Pain

I really could use advice. A few years ago, I underwent spinal fusion. Without mentioning a name, I used a prescription drug. I did take it 4-6 times daily. This helped me get around, as I don't feel as though I could without them. Well, to make a long story short, the doctor took me off them, and gave me no alternative for my pain.

I am always in constant pain, I can't visit a pain center, to be diagnosed. Now I rely on over the counter pain relievers, to the tune of 10-12 daily. I am still in much pain and my stomach is revolting. Did I mention, I don't have great insurance. So I thought if I could use a more natural remedy such as herbs, this would help. What worries me is I have heard that not taking the right amount, could cause death. Any suggestions? Thanks so much for your time.

By Zarina

First of all, for your present condition: how is your weight (probably the most important factor)? Do you do any stretching? Are you able to get any exercise? Do you eat nutritionally, and get enough sleep? All of these things are important.

As for medications, have you asked your doctor about safe alternatives to the prescription medication you were taking? He/she may not offer, if you don't ask. Why can you not go to a pain center? If it is finances, you may wish to call them, explain your situation, and find out if they have ways to help you--or can direct you to someone who does. Similarly, you could call a physical therapy center, and find out if they know of ways to supplement your insurance to make getting a few sessions possible.

If you work, is the place where you work set up to be "ergonomically correct" for you? If you don't work, are you receiving a supplemental income? The agency that administers it may have a social worker who can help you find supplemental medical assistance.

A long-established health food store may be able to help you identify helpful natural remedies; but you are wise to be cautious. All natural does not mean harmless. Many, many of the drugs we use are naturally derived, or at least were, originally. The potential side-effects can be deadly; and interactions with any prescription medications and foods are also potentially dangerous. Make sure you discuss these with the people at the store--get their recommendations, then do some research yourself.

I also suggest you speak to a pharmacist. They're very well educated and can help you identify what may work for you, as well as potential dangers from any medication or supplement you put in your mouth (or on your body).

Good luck, and (if you can) pat yourself on the back for being cautious!

A family member said they did some research on using Certo brand fruit pectin (used in canning) to treat joint pain. I don't know anything at all about it. I use the over the counter Salon Pas patches, and they help a little. I am so sorry to hear about your problem. I have some joint problems, but not anything near like you describe.

God bless you, and I hope you find some relief!

I had the same thing. The problem is not with the disks that were repaired but with the ones that weren't. You may have been taking darvocet which was taken off the market. There are other things that your doctor can give you. If he won't, then change doctors. Get one who is familiar with the pain people have after fusion. Spines are like chains. If you fuse two links together it puts a strain on the ones on either side when you try to bend. See another doctor.

I don't know if it would help you or not, but using a Thermophore has helped ease my back pain at times. Please don't give up. Pain can cause all sorts of problems. Pills/herbs are not the best answer sometimes. Here is a link that might help you find what you need. Good Luck. GG Vi

http://www.webm  pain/default.htm