Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Den of Snakes in My Basement

I am asking for help concerning a possible den of snakes found in my basement. We've lived in our house for about four years. This is the first time we have had a problem, it was the spring after we bought the house. I saw something moving in the ceiling of our unfinished basement and then suddenly realized it was a black snake. Every spring, it's the same story - just when you think you've gotten rid of them-they're back.

I say they, because for a long time I thought I was seeing the same snake. We even named him, "Henry." But Henry was quite elusive and refused to be caught, until about two months ago when my very courageous neighbor came over and devised a snake catching kit, and caught him unharmed.

We let him go in the woods behind our house, and naturally I thought snake-gate was all over with. Wrong! Two nights ago, two black snakes nearly fell on my head. We don't have mice.

Any advice,

B.J. in Virginia

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kate Boddington04/28/2011

Dear B.J. in Virginia

I'm looking for case studies to be featured in an Animal Planet show and your situation sounds like it could be perfect.

Can you please get in touch with me to let me know if you are interested in telling me more?

You can email me on: kate.boddington@darlowsmithson.com

Many thanks

Kate

By (Guest Post)08/20/2008

It sounds like a black rat snake to me.

By Snakes owned me (Guest Post)08/22/2007

I was infested with snakes in my basement. I hate them. However I'm not scared of them so it really did not bother me. I would occasionally come across them lounging in the sun on my kitchen floor or even once in my laundry machine.

After some time I kinda thought of them as pets. However when I got engaged, my fiance did not share my snake apathy. She basically said it's the snakes or her, one has got to go. I tried two chemical repellents. Snake-away... which did nothing and stank. And an all natural one caled Snake-Stop. This worked immediately. I sprayed it lightly in my basement and they were gone within a day. I used to see four or five when I went down in my basement and now have not seen one for a year. Good luck.

By (Guest Post)05/08/2006

It isn't because the lime is white that the snakes won't cross, its because lime is toxic to them. Many folks in the south use this method to keep the rattlers away as best they can.

By Nelly (Guest Post)11/13/2005

I dunno where you get them but you can buy these sound emiters. They give off a sound only heard by the snakes and it drives them crazy. Then they leave! But I would call an exterminator about it. What kind of snakes are they? Gardner or corn snakes or something more dangerous?

By Ann (Guest Post)06/16/2005

I am terrified of snakes and some of my neighbors have them in their yards. I've been told we probably don't have them because of our cats. I have seen my cats with a snake at our previous home that was next to a cow pasture. If you think they aren't poisonious, I'd try letting a neighbors cat hang out in the basement. I don't know if this will work but I could never go in that basement. I think I've also heard that snakes won't cross over white. My neighbor heavily limes the back of her property for this reason. This could possibly help if you found where they were coming from.

By Liz Homard (Guest Post)06/16/2005

I would hire exterminaters,

By Michele (Guest Post)06/15/2005

My daughter went to take a shower one night last week and there was a snake hanging over the shower head. We thought he must have been huge cause we could see some of him up on the side of the shower also. To make a long story short...hubby came home and it was two snakes mating! STOP UP ALL HOLES! He found a huge hole under our tub where they put the pipes in. You will have to find them...get down on the floor, up in the rafters but find the hole! Or they will keep coming back! And yes, we still have nightmares..LOL

By Annette (Guest Post)06/15/2005

Lady if it were me I would move!!