Bamboo Leaves Turning Brown

I have a stand of bamboo (a Himalayan variety) that has done well for the past two years since planting them in San Francisco. A few months ago I noticed that the leaves were turning brown and the plants were looking stressed. I haven't changed what I've been doing for the past couple of years.

I believe that the plants are well watered, but not over watered. I thought that it may be frost damage, but with the spring leaves coming out, even a significant number of the small new leaves turn brown within a few days. The browning starts at the tip and works it's way back. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Bozlogjam from San Francisco

Make sure you do not fertilize it for a while. Bamboo plants need very little fertilizer in my own home and my husband almost killed mine with "kindness" of the blue liquid variety (i.E. 20-10-10). Some varieties need filtered light, if it is in full sun, try moving it!

Have you fed the plants lately? There is a website dedicated to bamboo. Here is a link to their troubleshooting page:

http://www.mrbamboo.com.au/bamboo_care/trouble/trble.html

Thanks for the link. I haven't fertilized them recently.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceApril 23, 2009
Lilac Bush
Lilac Leaves Turning Yellow
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Bamboo
Selling Bamboo
Growing Lucky Bamboo
Growing "Lucky Bamboo"
🎄
🍂