Selling Bamboo

Bamboo is an evergreen tropical or temperate grass that grows easily and spreads quickly making it a good choice to grow as a money making enterprise. There are many products made from bamboo. This is a guide about selling bamboo.

Can I sell my cut bamboo stalks? Who can I sell them to? How?

By gloriabree from Tulsa, OK

Answers

Yes, cut them all the same size or into 2 or 3 different lengths (at different costs) then put them into bundles of a dozen & take them around to florists, plant nurseries & hardware stores. Florist's use them in arraignments & gardeners do to. they use them to stake up plants etc. Your bets luck will be selling to "ma & pa" type nurseries & florists, not the big chain stores. You won't get much money because you are competing with Chinese imports, but you have an edge because are Local! (& maybe even better!)

* Better yet, get yourself a booth or share a booth-fee with someone else at your local Farmers Market! You may have to wait until next your to get a space (booth fees usually cost under $30 per day) but if you have to wait until next spring then that will give you time to stock up! You'd make more money if you could either make something out of them or selling the live shoots in water as starters so people can plant their own. I'm wondering if when they are young if you can "train" them to grow in a corkscrew shape (like lucky bamboo) because then you'd have a real eye-catcher!

Anonymous

Bamboo stalks different diameter and length

How much does 10 foot of fresh bamboo sell for

I have a large bamboo grove that has been growing for 40 years. I need to do something with the large poles.It now is trying to take over a large pasture area.I have got to find someone who will buy it.

Anonymous

Send pictures

Looking to sell 15 acers of bamboo to be removed from property help

I need a co. To cut and buy my bamboo

Hello im denise i like to know if you find any company to cut your bamboo.i need help with my.

Hi I'm a traveling artist fixing to leave Florida heading west next month hopefully interested in bamboo my email is ajasparose@gmail.com

Anonymous

where do you live we cut bamboo in louisiana and would like to take a look if you live in louisiana

I have a lot of bamboo stalks still in the ground some of the stalks r over 30 ft.tall

Hello my name is mike. I have bamboo growing out back of my house that I use for my own personal hobbies. I would be interested in selling the stalks with or without roots, most of them are anywhere from 1/2 inches up to 4 inches around. I would be interested in talking more about selling some off to make room for new ones to be planted. Please email me back, hope I wasn't too late

Please give me a call. I have over roughly 100,000 stalks in Southeastern NC for you to take a look at. I can send you pics as well.

-- Chris
919-920-9993

We are buying a house with approx 20 ft stalks of bamboo. Need it cut, live in SE Texas 20 from Tx , La border

We have land in north Georgia that has a lot of bamboo growing on it. The stalks are 25-30+ feet tall and 3+ inches thick.

Answers

It's a big job. You have to cut through the roots with a heavy shovel, dig out the bamboo, mow, apply herbicide and be vigilant to remove roots.

This article explains how in detail: https://www.goo  Bamboo%3Famp%3D1

if you are thinking of selling or even getting someone to remove it for the bamboo, you may have a lot of trouble getting someone to do either of those.
Clearing the land of this size bamboo will probably take tree cutting equipment as well as debris clearing trucks and all of this equipment, plus workers, will be very expensive.
It may take many months of "killing" remaining roots even after you have it removed.
Here is a site that has some companies listed that do lumber jobs - they might give you an estimate but many will not do bamboo.

http://www.home  on-and-Clearing/

Clearing land with this much bamboo is quite a job. A friend of mine posted on Craig's list one time for their bamboo. He offered it for free if the person wanted to come and cut it down and haul it away.

Once the bamboo was cut and hauled away, they hired a backhoe to come in and dig up the roots.

Many people are looking for bamboo because it makes great homes. You can try advertising your bamboo for free if anyone is interested in coming to your land and cutting it down.

I have lots of bamboo where and how can I sell it?

Answers

You can put an ad in Craigslist. It is hard to sell online because you have to make sure the rootball doesn't dry out.

Check this bamboo business information re selling bamboo:

https://www.pro  rowing-business/

First - if you do not know already - you will have to determine what kind/type of bamboo you have. You will not be able to sell it until you know quite a bit about it and particularly how to harvest it to sell. There are some restrictions on selling on line that you would have to check out with your local county extension service to find out what permits or licenses you may need (if any). Selling in your local area may not require anything other than finding a market.

Generally, bamboo is a good seller so it seems contacting local nurseries, co-ops, feed stores, and farmers markets would be a good place to start. Of course, Flea markets, Craigslist and any other local auction site like Freecycle may also work.

If you are still thinking about selling on-line then eBay is a good site. Here is a link to what is currently listed on eBay.

https://www.eba  mp;_sacat=119658

Here is a link that has a lot of information about bamboo.

http://homeguid  -root-41260.html

I am clearing some property and need to cut down bamboo. Is there any money in selling it?

By Richard G.

How do I locate a market for bamboo? Also, does anyone know the current market price for bamboo?

By Rudd from Raleigh, NC

Question:

Does anyone know if bamboo would sell, I have a yard full of it that I cannot get rid of.

Mary from Houston, TX

Answer:

Mary,

Yes. Whether you sell your bamboo as plants or dried stalks, there is definitely a market for it. If you don't already know what type of bamboo you have, the first thing I would suggest you do is find someone can help you identify it. A great place to start is with the Texas Bamboo Society. Their web site features good information on different bamboo species, their uses, propagation techniques, etc.

The society also has a moderately active forum where members discuss everything from care for bamboo to containing it.

Bamboo is an incredibly versatile product, so when searching for a market to see it, consider all of its possible uses.

• Plant Materials: bamboo is used by nurseries, zoos, botanical gardens, and farmers markets.

• Food: fresh bamboo shoots and young leaves are used for zoo animals and as forage for livestock.

• Construction Materials: manufacturers make bamboo into flooring, fencing and use it to reinforce concrete.

• Fibers: bamboo is used for making paper and clothing.

• Musical Instruments: stalks are made into flutes, wind chimes, and xylophones.

• Home & Garden: stalks are turned into leaf rakes, plant stakes, trellises, and privacy screens.

• Furniture & Crafts: bamboo can be made into toys, baskets, frames, jewelry, and used for woodworking.

• Conservation: living bamboo is used to create wildlife habitat, wetlands, and grown to filter waste water.

I would suggest contacting local nurseries, co-ops, feed stores, and farmers markets as potential avenues for selling it. There are also websites like Agriseek, which provide an online marketplace for people to sell various agricultural products, including bamboo. It might be a good place to get information on what types of bamboo people are selling and how much they are charging for it.

Good luck!

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Can I Sell Bamboo?

Try posting it for free on Freecycle. (03/17/2008)

By luvmygingerkids

Can I Sell Bamboo?

If it's big why not take some to your local flee market to sell. It would make good fishing poles. (03/17/2008)

By theseamstress

Can I Sell Bamboo?

Yes, you can sell it. Locate a bamboo grower in your area and they will come and remove it and pay you, depending on what type it is and how rare it is. I have a neighbor that sold all of hers and was quite happy that she didn't have to do the hard work of digging it up. And some kinds of bamboo are worth a great deal of money, so you might also be pleased with the results. You might also post it on Craigslist to see if anyone is willing to come dig it up and pay you for it. Good luck. (03/17/2008)

By Heidi

Can I Sell Bamboo?

Yes, I'd buy it. Sell it at Saturday Farmer's Markets. You'll have to buy a bunch of pots wholesale to plant them in. You can also train it into spirals when it's young like they do "lucky bamboo". Some kinds of bamboo can grow in "only" water (lucky bamboo) maybe your bamboo is one of them. Some need dirt and pots. You'll probably have to purchase a case or so of small pots wholesale and have someone deliver a pile of potting soil to your driveway (eventually). But in the mean time, start out small with several bags of potting soil and see how well they little devils sell.

An important tip is to print out fliers that educate your public about how bamboo can take over. These guys sell garden bed liners so the bamboo won't take over your neighbors yard. Their called "Rhizome Barriers". Read what they say about them: www.bamboogardener.com

On the flier, tell your customer where to buy these "Rhizome Barriers". Also, include care of bamboo and of course, your name, number, e-mail and how to contact you to buy more bamboo in the future. Print out a nice sign to hang at your booth (you'll need to buy an "EZ-UP" tent to sell at Saturday Markets and to get in, you'll need to be "jurried in". This is the time to check that out, as they are screening for new members at farmers markets "right now", in March or April. Just Google "Farmers Markets in your state or city". I'm an artist and I make my living selling at Farmers Markets. (small as it in). These days, people are buying less and less, but they "always" want things for their gardens and plants. Garden art, plants and, garden furniture are the "biggest selling items at our market".

To sell "Lucky Bamboo": When the bamboo is very young, start "training" it around different shapes so you get bamboo spirals etc, etc. You can also weave bamboo while it's young and pliable into very cool designs and as it grows it retains these wonderful shapes. You may be able to just sell this "Lucky Bamboo" in water, but people like fancy pots and good looking things they can give as gifts. Bamboo in really nice pots would be your "High End" price range.

You need to have all price ranges. Your bamboo sold without pots (only in a bag with water) could be your "Low End" price range. The low end will probably be your "bread and butter". Meaning, you'll sell a lot of the less expensive plants. You'll also need boxes and plastic bags with water in them for people to take their bamboo home in. And don't forget a receipt book, calculator, and change.

Don't forget your state and city tax numbers and Business license requirements. Each town has different rules. Call the market you want to sell at and they'll give you the low-down on what licenses you'll need. You may be able to also sell to stores, but you'll first have to certify that your plants are "disease free".

Your absolute most important requirement: Great customer service. If anyone ever complains to me about anything at all (even if it's their fault) I always give them a brand new item of their choice. I never argue with a customer. Treat them like kings and queens and they'll always come back. Great Customer service is "top priority". See your service through your customers eyes. How many times have you said: "I'll never go back there again." or, "Wow! great service, they really treated me right." It makes a huge difference. Customer Service is the difference between a "so-so" business and a great, topnotch business.

Finally, dress in conservative dark clothes. That way it's your product they are looking at, not you. Same thing with your display. Keep it simple. Solid black, easily laundered table cloths work best. You'll also need light weight tables that fold to fit into your vehicle and a folding chair. The better your display looks, the more you'll sell. Display accounts for 50% of sales. If you have a helper with you, don't spend your time talking with them, the customer won't want to interrupt you to ask questions about your product. It's best to sell alone and just have someone there to help you set up and break down. (03/17/2008)

By Cyinda

Can I Sell Bamboo?

Contact your local zoo. If they have panda bears, they eat bamboo. (03/19/2008)

By TJ