Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine

You can successfully substitute all purpose flour for bread flour in you bread machine. This is a guide about recipes using all purpose flour in bread machine.

Bread Machine
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 10, 2010 Flag

I was wondering if anybody has ever successfully used all purpose flour instead of bread flour to make their bread in the bread machine? Bread flour is extremely expensive here in Malta, to the extent that baking your own bread is not cost effective.

But plain (called all purpose flour in the U.S.) is very cheap to buy here. If so, could you please share some recipes or direct me to a site which has some good ones? Thank you so much.

By cettina from Mallta, Europe

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, I have a breadmaker and had run out of bread flour, I had plenty of ordinary plain flour so I used that and the bread turned out just fine, mixture looked a lot wetter when mixing but turned out just fine , havn't used bread flour since.

Jacque Lee UK

Thank you all so much! It's so good to know I can substitute bread flour for ordinary flour. I cant wait to try out the recipes you kindly gave me! I also take the bread dough out after the 1st rise and bake it in the oven. I get much better results too. Once again, thank you, all.

What about doing other recipes, like sourdough bread, rye bread, etc.... same scenario?

AP BM Recipe

I use all purpose flour and in addition replaced non fat dry milk with non dairy dry creamer. My machine is a Breadman 2700. This is the recipe I use for 1 1/2 lb loaf. Made 5 loves before I got it right. Good luck..

1 cup water + 2 tbs [room temp]

2 tbs veg oil [your choice olive, corn, etc]

2 tbs sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

3 cups all purpose flour

1 1/2 tbs non dairy dry creamer

1 tbs vital wheat gluten

2 tsp instant dry yeast [bread yeast]

This is the order I use to add ingredients. You may want to follow a difference order according to your bread machine. I use the medium crust setting which is 3 hrs and 5 min. on my machine. I use 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp vital gluter per cup of flour. You may have to adjust the amount of water or yeast depending on the flour used

Notes.... Best deals I found is 2 lb pkg instant yeast and 3 1/2 lb can of vital wheat gluten at Amazon. Non dary dry creamer I get at Dollar stores or supermarket house brand.

Read More Answers...

January 11, 2012 Flag

I received a bread machine and all the recipes call for bread flour. Can you substitute all purpose flour for bread flour? I was about to try it out until I found out I didn't have the right flour.

By Jill

You can use all purpose flour, though your bread may not rise as high or be as light as with bread flour. Bread flour has a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour; and gluten creates a "fibrous" structure that traps the gasses produced by the yeast fermenting and causes bread to rise. I have used all purpose flour many times, with perfectly satisfactory results! Do try the bread flour, but don't not use your machine if you don't have any on hand! You're going to love it!

I have never bothered with "bread flour." Instead, I purchase a little bag of a product called vital wheat gluten and add a heaping tablespoon per loaf (double that if I'm making rye or whole wheat, which I usually am). This has worked well for me for years. Mine is a 1-1/2 pound machine. Love, love, love it!

I get my gluten at Whole Foods, but your grocery store might have it. Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur have it online - and Amazon, of course.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads Bread MachineFebruary 7, 2014
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Bread Machine
Bread Machine Recipes
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 9:50:27 AM on 10.0.2.84 in 573 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.