Substituting All Purpose Flour for Bread Flour

I received a bread machine and all the recipes call for bread flour. Can you substitute all purpose flour for bread flour? I was about to try it out until I found out I didn't have the right flour.

By Jill

You can use all purpose flour, though your bread may not rise as high or be as light as with bread flour. Bread flour has a higher gluten content than all-purpose flour; and gluten creates a "fibrous" structure that traps the gasses produced by the yeast fermenting and causes bread to rise. I have used all purpose flour many times, with perfectly satisfactory results! Do try the bread flour, but don't not use your machine if you don't have any on hand! You're going to love it!

I have been buying King Arthur, and it makes great, light bread plus I can use it for other recipes. Other all purpose flours have made sense, heavy loaves. I also select the short (rapid white) on the timer so it has a light brown crust.

I have never bothered with "bread flour." Instead, I purchase a little bag of a product called vital wheat gluten and add a heaping tablespoon per loaf (double that if I'm making rye or whole wheat, which I usually am). This has worked well for me for years. Mine is a 1-1/2 pound machine. Love, love, love it!

I get my gluten at Whole Foods, but your grocery store might have it. Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur have it online - and Amazon, of course.

Thank you for this advice. It is greatly appreciated.

I order mine from Amazon!

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads Bread MachineJanuary 11, 2012
📓
🐛
🌻