How Do I Get Rid of Blue Jays?

I have this blue jay that sits by a window of my house and pecks at it. Sometimes it starts pecking around five in the morning. It's always waking me up and it continues to peck throughout the day. I use to have mourning doves that had nests by my front door that have been scared off along with sparrows and other birds because of the Blue Jay. Now there are atleast three birds taking up a home around my house. Someone help me get rid of these birds.

Andrew of San Diego

Try spraying WD40 around the area. It works for pigeons here in Australia.

May 17, 2013 Flag

How do we get rid of blue jays?

By bryantvbryant

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try hanging old CD disks in the trees and bushes where they like to roost. The glitter should frighten them away. We don't even try to get rid of ours as having Blue Jays is better than having Mocking Birds. At least the Jays are quiet all night.

February 23, 2011 Flag

I have this blue jay that sits by a window of my house and pecks at it. Sometimes it starts pecking around five in the morning. It's always waking me up and it continues to peck throughout the day. I use to have mourning doves that had nests by my front door that have been scared off along with sparrows and other birds because of the blue Jay.

Now there are at least three birds taking up a home around my house. Someone help me get rid of these birds.

Andrew of San Diego

Answers:

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

They are probably seeing and pecking at their reflection in the window. I am just not sure how to eliminate that. Perhaps if you hung a picture of a predator of some kind (a cat, for instance) facing the outside, it would keep them at bay.

(06/19/2005)

By Harlean from Arkansas

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I had a red bird that beat itself repeatedly against some of my windows. I went to Walmart (you might also try the dollar store) and bought some rubber snakes. It worked well, then the redbird moved to another window. For awhile, I had snakes at about 8 windows at my house, but it kept him away and now he is gone for good. I also have used the the snakes to keep crows away from my dog's food. If you want to get fancier, you can go to Lowes or Home Depot and purchase an owl. (06/19/2005)

By Barbara

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

You can do what I do. Get peanuts (Costco/Sams Club) and sunflower seeds. Set up a feeding station away from your bedroom windows. If you don't want them around at all, leave a few peanuts out on the ground leading farther away from your house each day. Pretty soon they will forget your place and move on. (06/20/2005)

By Great Granny Vi

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Apparently if you use old CDs hung on fishing line, the bright reflection will help scare off birds. Try either that, or some other item that will sparkle in the sun. The more it moves in the wind, the better! (06/26/2005)

By Cathy

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I agree about the reflection; he probably thinks it's another bird and is "fighting" over his territory. You can find something to put over the window on the inside or the outside so that he can't see his reflection. A bunch of blue jays let me know there was a snake in my oak tree yesterday! They chased him away. (07/07/2005)

By guest

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I printed pictures of cats from the internet and hung them in my window. Blue jay gone!

Thank you. (04/14/2006)

By Isaac

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I read as a last resort to get an owl. So we hung up a lightweight, full-size, plastic owl from the lower branch of our willow tree. The jays were hanging out there and attacking my cats. Within 3 days the blue jays were gone. They don't like owls, not even plastic ones. My cats are safe again. (06/22/2007)

By Sheila D

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I started feeding the blue jays peanuts a year ago and have not had a problem. They eat with the squirrels and other birds without any problems. Guess I'm lucky! (01/26/2008)

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Use the same people that I used to get rid of my crow problem. Their name is Crow be Gone or do a google search "get rid of crows". They're the best. (06/21/2008)

By Jill

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Eventually the bluejays will not be loud once they are established in your yard, You want bluejays at your feeders because they will chase off hawks that prey on your songbirds. Bluejays as well as all other songbirds do not start chirping at 5:00 in the morning, this is misleading information which makes me to question your credibility on this post. You hear wildbirds at 6:30am in the summer and until around 7:30-8:00 in the evening. During winter, around 7:30 am and until 5:30pm. I have been a avid birdfeeder for almost 2 years now. I document the time changes that occurs.

Bluejays will mob owls and hawks during the day, wildbirds have specific times they eat during the day, don't worry, the songbirds will eat with the protection of bluejays watching for predators. Bluejays have sentries (lookouts). I don't have a problem with bluejays either, they all forage with the squirrels and other songbirds as well as with the crows. The bluejays do good for the other birds at feeders.

Some of you need to seriously do extensive research before you post about something that you know nothing about instead of posting misleading information. Bluejays do not go around killing songbirds on a daily basis. Yes, they may occasionally eat a egg or two that has fallen from a nest or even a fledgling, but so will snakes, opossums, skunks, flying squirrels, and crows. This is how God created it to be to keep populations of wildlife in control. This only occurs during nesting season, during winter season they forage together.

As far as your cat goes, you need to be more concerned about allowing your domesticated cat to roam free unsupervised. The domesticated cat is not a natural predator to wildlife. Cats kill hundreds of millions of songbirds yearly, as well as billions of rodents yearly. Do yourself a favor, as well as, your cat and be a responsible cat owner, keep your cat in the house. Do your research. Domesticated cats kill for sport, play with the birds they catch or rodents, and leave it to die, taking food from the natural predator's mouth which is the owls' and hawks' food that they need to survive.

Songbirds, including bluejays, are protected by law. You have no business whatsoever shooting at birds; it is against the law. You need to research before you put feeders up, I would suggest changing birdseed, certain birds only eat certain type of birdseed. This will take care of the bluejays. If you don't want them at your feeders, change to a different seed as well as buy feeders that are made only for small birds. (04/07/2010)

By Jccross316

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

I don't believe in shooting birds that's sick. Then if your using bullets hopefully they don't hit someone on their way back down.
I found a way to get rid of all the blue jays that were attacking my song birds. Those jays are mean birds. I got a CD from a site called Crow be Gone. Not because I had a crow problem, oh no, it was a blue jay problem I had. They had been so successful with Crow be Gone they made a CD called BlueJay be Gone and it worked like a charm. I haven't had a blue jay drop by in 2 months time now. Now don't get me wrong jays are a very pretty bird yet they seem to be the bad boys on the block and they had to go. I love my song birds and they are at peace now with the jays gone. I hope this information will help someone who is having issues with blue jays.

Larry (07/30/2010)

By the larry

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Look when you make the decision to bird feed, you will attract all different types of wild life. If some of you would actually observe the blue jays your negative views about them would be different. Do you not know that the bluejays establish pecking orders like all other wildlife, that does not mean smaller birds are bullied, they are
able to eat at the feeders as well. Once blue jays establish territory, they share equal time at the feeders. The birds work it out as far as the times they eat at the feeders, they take turns. Songbirds benefit from having blue jays at your feeders. Bluejays are just as good as a watch dog whenever any predators are around, they let all the other wildlife know. It shows a lot about a person's character when you feed small songbirds then you are negative and sometimes cruel to the other wildlife you draw in such as squirrels and blue jays. (01/25/2011)

By Jccross316

How do I get rid of Blue Jays?

Can you afford bird netting? It is against the law to shoot a blue jay which is protected by law. (01/25/2011)

By Jccross316

Six steller Jaye's killed and ate two of my chickens. As I helplessly watched from my window as these Jay's worked as a pack.Two larger steller Jay's which I believe to be male's I am not sure if male or female just know there size was different. The two distracted one of my hen's and the rest of the jay's moved in, Working as a pack. Before my eyes two birds of mine were dead.I couldn't believe my chickens we're dead by a pack of flying demons.As I retrieved my dead birds. I examined there cause of death. thay killed them by packing at there skulls untell they're death. thay consumed the heart's, lungs,and liver and the Brest meat.These bird's are intelligent and a ruthless killers Some say thay eat abandoned eggs from the other birds nests I can say that these jay's around my home area will kill anything if thay put there minds to it. I once enjoyed there blue beauty,now thay are worst enemy's WHAT CAN I DO to make them go away?

Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsJune 17, 2005
jar of Roka Blue in cupboard
Kraft Roka Blue Spread Substitute
Picture of a red striped shirt in a washer.
Blue Stains Showing Up on Washed Clothing
Blue Jeans
Keeping Blue Jeans Looking Like New
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
🎄