Use Your Swimming Pool as a Garden

We used to have a swimming pool. We did not like to swim or spend so much money to keep the pool clean, it takes lots of money and time to keep it clean. I suggested we have it filled up with dirt so I could have a garden, We had it filled up, I had a very pretty garden all the year, very good idea.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Top Comment

To make a garden in the swimming pool you have to hire someone with a large truck to haul dirt to fill up the pool then you have a garden. Leave the walk way around the pool. It makes a good walk way while working in the garden, and also leave the diving board. It makes a good work bench or a place for flowers in pots. Good luck.

Top Comment

My parents did the same thing. When they retired, they agreed to buy a place on the condition the existing pool would be filled in! Loved the house & grounds, just not the pool. They didn't swim and they worried about the safety of the grandkids and the upkeep of something they didn't use, esp. as they got older. Mom planted a cherry tree in the centre and peonies in tbe corners. Safer and beautiful!

My future husband's grandmother did that too!!

I've been wanting to do that too. How do you do it.

We let ours turn green and went to walmart and in 3 years they were 4-9 inches long it was neat to see the reaction of people when they see a pool with a slide and walk up and fish are everywhere. But don't feed when its cold and if it freezes where you are the fish will be ok. Bugs want leave in it the fish will eat them and if you have snakes in your area that like water throw in a few turtles as well.

Sounds lovely. Was it a deep, above the ground pool?

How deep is the dirt. What did you grow?

As a native Californian, if I had a pool, I'd eat the algae before filling it in. LOL

But your post gave me an idea. A plastic wading pool could be used as a raised bed.

I have 4' x4' raised garden beds made of wood and also use an old wheelbarrow (with plenty of drainage holes)

I loved your idea. I'm going to use my old plastic pool for a raised bed! Thanks for the idea.

I am a bit perplexed-could you post pictures?

Abandoned empty outdoor swimming pool filled with leaves
Turning a Swimming Pool Into a Garden
Home and Garden Gardening Creative PlantersDecember 11, 2008
Several kiddie pools being used to grow plants
Using a Child's Swimming Pool as a Garden
Boy in Life-vest in Swimming Pool
Swimming Pool Safety Tips
Girl with Long Hair in Swimming Pool
Preventing Damaged Hair From Swimming Pools
Lanscaping around a swimming pool.
Landscaping Around Swimming Pools