Cat Rolls in Dust

Is it normal for a healthy cat to constantly roll in soft powdery dirt? I can't help but laugh, he looks like he loves it and is having the time of his life as he lays on his back and rubs back and forth in the dirt (like a dog). The only problem is, he comes inside and shakes. I thought cats like to be clean?

By Cyinda

Check cat for fleas. Might not have any though, because that's the purpose of the rolling in the dust. Let him roll.

My cat thoroughly enjoys rolling on a warm sidewalk in the sun. Doesn't matter how dirty or dusty it is. I think the rolling just feels good on their backs, or maybe it's a way of scratching. Ever seen horses doing the same thing?

I don't know why cats or dogs do it but it's completely normal, Cyinda, and my guess is it simply feels good because they show so much joy in it :-) And, yep, cats like being clean but what is dirty to us is not neccessarily dirty to them ;-)

Yes, it's for fleas! Cats, dogs, horses and birds evolved to bathe in dust because it dries fleas and other insects visiting. Another triumph for evolution, after it goofed by developing fleas in the first place.

My cats never had fleas, and they like to roll in dead leaves or dust or whatever. Who knows why they do it, but they seem to like it, and then it gives them something to do, to wash it off. If your cat gets dust on the furniture because of this, perhaps you have to towel him down when he comes in the house, or give him a brushing, which he will surely like too!

Pets CatsAugust 24, 2009
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Empty cardboard toilet paper rolls, ready for reusing.
Valentine Crafts Using Toilet Paper Rolls
Freshly baked white dinner rolls.
Saving Money on Dinner Rolls
🎉
🎄