Metallic Crochet Thread and Other Fancy Supplies

I am crocheting a snowflake afghan and have been using Nomis gold metallic thread (it's polyester and nylon, along with my regular white yarn) that I had from a project I did years ago. I have run out and and can't seem to find anything similar anywhere.

This "thread" is much like Christmas tree icicles material, but comes in spools. If anybody can point me to the right direction, I'd be eternally grateful.

By Bonnie from Coral Springs, FL

Answers

Have you tried looking in the embroidery aisle of any sewing center store? We have Joann Fabric and Hobby Lobby. Both have that type thread on spools in those aisles. Also, try Kreinik.com. They have a selection of metallic threads that perhaps would be what you are searching for. Hopefully you can locate what you need from one of these places. Good luck!

October 30, 2009 Flag

I like to crochet, but I don't like to follow a design. I wanted to crochet a scarf or something that would have some glitz, so many of the yarns or crochet thread that have the look of sparkle or metallic thread cost and arm and a leg. So I bought opal sewing thread and blended it with the crochet thread, you can use gold, silver, or a shiny opal. You just need to keep the two threads together. It especially works well if you are making a crochet scarf.

Also I wanted to add beads, which you can do as long as your crochet hook will fit through the opening of the bead.The most recent idea that I am still having fun with is to use the bangle type of iridescent sequins. I found a huge variety on the internet of Cartwright buttons. The minimum purchase is $10.00, but they have so much variety, and the average price is like 1.25 for a few hundred. I rarely buy anything on the internet so, it was my little splurge, and I can make little purses, etc. even if you just know how to single crochet you can end up with something fun.

By Kersti B. from Bellevue, WA

Answers:

Hi, I don't have pictures yet. The thread can be either the cotton type that is used for doilies or the yarn you would use if you were making a warm scarf. As far as the little purses I don't have a pattern, so far I just made a little doll purse and used an oval sequin (the middle was cut out already). I used that for my purse handle and just single crochet stitches and increased a little on each row, till I was ready to add the other (handle) sequin and then started decreasing enough so I could attach the last handle, sorry it is kind of confusing without a picture.

I will say it seems that sequins are so much easier than beads if the hole is large enough, I have even found confetti that worked. Of course you would have to be very careful when laundering the item, but some confetti that is metallic feels as sturdy as a sequin. In fact one of my new hobbies is looking for the metallic, or iridescent confetti, that has a hole in it.

Around Valentines day I found some Xs and Os and I have used the Os. Recently I found confetti that was in the shape of an Easter egg with some small holes. Also I found heart shapes with the middle cut out of them, the ones with the tiny holes, like the size for a sewing needle, are too small for even the smallest crochet hook.

I am sorry I don't have any patterns, but I am sure there are some free places on the internet. Hope this idea opens up some ideas for creativity. As we crafters know, we don't look at regular objects the way others do, we look at things through the creative eye and that is one of the things that gets us going. For me it is a blessing, when I keep it in balance, because I also have adult attention deficit. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

Kersti from Bellevue (04/12/2006)

By Kersti

You could also rub your yarn or finished item in glitter to make it sparkle. (09/11/2007)

By Anonymous

I'm not sure what you mean when you say you can only use beads which your crochet hook will go through. I just put on all the beads I may need (with a few extra in case I change something) on the thread and just crochet each bead into the place I want each to be in the work. It never entered my mind to only use beads I could put a crochet hook through.

I follow the idea, if I don't know it can't be done, then I pursue the idea anything is possible and there are ways of doing anything. I do like the idea of sequins and there, you would want the hook to be small enough or the hole in the sequin to be large enough for your hook.

As to adding thread to yarn or crochet thread, you know doing it this way, we can be more creative and anything we might buy in a store. "wink" Great idea. (08/20/2008)

By Dee

When I read your post, I thought about sparking up your piece. There is baby yarn called Pomp-a-dour, by Red Heart. Really soft after washing. It has small sparkle thread going through it. What would happen if you crocheted regular sewing thread along with your yarn? In a contrasting color? I'm thinking that would create a new and different look. But, yarn is stretchable to a point, and thread isn't. What would happen when it is washed. Maybe it is not such a good idea.

But it should work with crochet cotton, like Knit-Cro-Sheen. I love that cotton to make all kinds of doilies, bookmarks, even starch it to make Easter baskets, and it makes great doll clothes. (08/23/2008)

By skunk.friendly

SmileysYarns.com has wonderful internet sales on the finest of yarns. Some cost as little as 77 cents. You can get on their mailing list to receive the sale brochures. The minimum order is $50, but you can get friends to order with you. I have ordered from them, being a bonafied yarn and crochet junkie, and am thrilled with their service and everything about them. (b)(/b) (04/03/2009)

By Beautiful1234

I string the beads on the yarn before I start to knit or crochet. Black yarn or white yarn with assorted color beads in always nice. (07/07/2009)

By yarnlady

Crafts CrochetOctober 30, 2009
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
Bobbin Thread Keeps Breaking
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Red Sewing Thread
Crocheting With Sewing Thread
🎄