Buying Metallic Yarn

Where is the best and least expensive place to buy fancy metallic or shiny rayon yarn in bright colors? The brighter and more glittery the better. I'm not looking for eyelash or bumpy yarn. I only need small amounts like one skein (or less) of each color so remnants are okay, but large cones are also okay. I prefer sport weight or fingering weight and no thicker than worsted weight. Thank you.

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Best Answer

eBay is a good place to find the yarn you are looking for. Do a search for Lurex yarn, it comes in metallic.

Best Answer

Cynthia, google in Smiley's Yarns. They claim to be the cheapest source of yarn. I've ordered yarn from them several times and always got wonderful service. Since you have to buy a certain amount of yarn to get free shipping, you can go in with several friends to order and shipping is free.

Try Wal-Mart, they are starting to stock some unusual textures and colors.

A short while ago I won 4 auctions on remnant yarn that I found on eBay. But you have to take the shipping cost into consideration.

If you find that you are paying more for the yarn to have it shipped, you are better off buying it at Wal- Mart. Consider your winning bid and the shipping cost.

I went to Advanced Search on eBay and now I'm receiving emails from eBay on yarn that is Buy it Now + yarn in stores + best offer + free shipping!

In the yarn lots that I've won, I received quite a few skeins of the thin yarn which is used for baby items. I can use all the baby yarn up by using 2 strands of yarn which averages out to the thickness of the worsted weight. So nothing will go to waste.

I do a lot of charity work for veterans and find ways of saving money on remnant yarn.

They don't have any of the metallic, shiny rayon or super-bright colors at any of the 5 Walmart's in my area & with the high shipping costs the E-bay yarn is way to high. But thanks for answering my post anyway, I really appreciate it!