Bat Mystery

Please help me solve a mystery that has been driving me crazy for 45 years. One very hot afternoon, my best friend Lynnette and I were walking down the street when something fell straight down from the sky and landed at our feet. Of course, we both immediately looked up and there was nothing in the sky. There were no tall trees in our neighborhood and no trees overhanging the street. All the houses were one story and set back 20 feet from the street. The thing at our feet was the size of a large grapefruit and looked exactly like an onion. It was pulsating and squeaking noises were coming out of it. Lynnette was fixing to pick it up when it burst open and out flew what we thought were two baby bats. The thing left a dark, greasy spot on the street for a long time. I have since learned bats are strictly nocturnal (unless they are rabid).

This is not a goof, this really happened. Any ideas, anybody?

Joan from Chesapeake, VA

Maybe they were fighting over where to sleep for the day and it carried over into the street? The greasy spot could have been the remnents of a fight... various bodily fluids.... ew. Good thing they missed you!

You could try going to your local county extension office or local game, fish and parks office. They usually have information officers or biology experts who might be able to help solve the mystery.

Hi! Well... since I had about 13 unwanted bats in my house.. I speak from experience.. ;-) Baby bats can't fly.. they just walk around until they are about 8-10 weeks old. If it was a bat then it was probably full grown. They do make squeaking noises that are pretty shrill. Baby bats are born in February. Thank goodness I got rid of my unwanted house guests. I got pretty good at catching them. There were 9 adults and 4 babies. I found one fast asleep in my dogs food bin. I still hesitate every time I open it! HTH! Cindy

If you dont find these answers to your liking I recommend the site. coasttocoastam.com You can post a question of that nature and someone might be able to help you.