Water Treated in Reverse Osmosis System Tastes Dirty

Does anyone know what could be causing a dirt taste in water that is being treated in a reverse osmosis system? The regular faucet water is fine. Just the water that goes through the reverse osmosis unit and into the refrigerator water dispenser and ice is affected. We also have a water softener and an acid neutralizer.

By Marciaaja from WI

If the water tastes dirty, it quite possibly is time to replace all the filters in it. I know with my system there are 3 different sets of filters. 1 set is supposed to be replaced more frequently than the other two. The last time I replaced all 3, I also took the time to rinse the inside of the small holding tanks the filters go into. There also is a flush system that should be done, but it may be beyond flushing the system.

I agree with the 1st person, about the filters. Depending on how many filters you have, dictates how good of a system you have. There is usually 2-3 filters before the membrane & one after it.

These filters, if it's a total 3 stage system, should be changed at least every 6 months, that's the ones before the membrane & the one after it, if it's a 4 or 5 stage system. They can go about 9 months. The membrane lasts anywhere from 1.5 years to about 3 years or so.

If you don't know when they were changed or installed, change them all, including the membrane (it's the heart of the system, but the filters can protect the membrane from being destroyed before it's time). Also, for regular maintenance, you should shut off the water going into the system & use the water in the tank till it's empty, then turn the water feed back on. Do this about every 2-4 weeks.

If it's hard to shut off, then go to your local home depot or such & get a 1/4 valve, with the fittings & put it before the RO system, then it's very easy to shut off. By draining the tank, you keep the water always fresh.

I sell & install these things, have for decades. Also, make sure you get good filters. I'm not crazy about the ones home depot & places like this, sell.

One more thing, depending on how many stages you have with your system, dictates what kinds of filters you need to get. cmt

October 20, 2011 Flag

I just got a Watts premier RO system. It was originally installed in Feb 2011 and the water is great. At the 6 month mark (back in August 2011), I changed the 2 filters that where scheduled to be changed. As of the last couple weeks, the RO water is starting to taste like there is dirt in the water although not visible to the naked eye. Any thoughts or suggestions to remedy this problem? I even tried to replace the 2 new filters I changed in August with new ones, but the water still tasted bad.

By Kevin

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Did you allow the water storage tank to totally fill, then totally empty it, to rid the tank of any residual carbon from the new filters? Call the company. I've found them to be helpful.

Consumer Advice General AdviceDecember 24, 2010
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Sewing Machine
Sewing Machine Stuck in Reverse
Dirty Rice
Dirty Rice Recipes
Drip Irrigation System Watering Flowers
Installing a Drip Irrigation System