Sewing Machine Stuck in Reverse

Sewing Machine
Right in the middle of sewing the machine gets stuck in reverse. This is a guide about a sewing machine stuck in reverse.

My sewing machine is stuck in reverse. All I did was change the stitch width and type and now I can't get it to go forward. Any suggestions?

By Kris

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I'm assuming you've already reset the stitch and width settings back to the settings before the malfunction began-that would be step one.

You don't say if your Necchi is a computerised machine, or mechanical. If it's computerised, try 'rebooting' by turning the machine on and then pulling the plug from the mains (outlet in US).

If the two suggestions above don't help, I'd say you probably have a broken gear. Best thing to do is take it to a professional who is familiar with your model.

Don't feel too badly if it is a broken gear-the age, use-hours, and model of machine are what make the difference if you have been conscientious about good maintenance and handling of your machine. Necchi sewing machines are tough little sewers, but can be a bit fussy.

If yours is an older machine but has plastic parts to the gears, time has taken its toll.

My Morse sewing machine is stuck in reverse. I tried setting it back to 0, but it's not fixing the problem. Please help. The model is # FA630.

By J.D.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

My Morse machine is also stuck in reverse. FA631. I have not used mine for 8 years though. I think mine is jammed and is in need of a good cleaning I have been told.

My machine will only go in reverse. What can I check? My grandson played with it when I wasn't around and now it doesn't operate in forward stitching.

Answers

Have you followed your user guide instructions re making needed setting adjustments back to a sewing mode? Have you checked the guide for instructions on 'resetting to factory default' so that you can reprogramme?

If the above doesn't help, have you tried a 'shock reboot'? Start by turning on machine on and let it sit for a few minutes then without turning it off, pull the power plug from the electrical outlet. Wait five minutes then reconnect and turn on your machine - it should have defaulted back to factory settings. You'll lose your saved stitches but your machine should function properly again.

If that doesn't get your machine sewing forward, something the wee man did snapped something inside the machine (usually a gear and the things are easier to 'snap' than people realise) and it's time for a trip to the repair tech.

Be sure the tech has experience working on the Memory Craft series - great machines but the 4000 is a 'retired' computerised machine and unless you choose a 'factory trained - authorised' may not be qualified to work on vintage (sewer speak for 'retired' models) computerised machines.

Best luck to you! I do vintage machine repair-refurb for my Sewing 101 students but as I have NO experience with the computerised machines I usually try a shock reboot while they are with me in the classroom and if that doesn't work I send them to a factory trained and authorised tech.

I meant to post this in with my first comment - oh well, better late than never:)

This is a link to a free instruction manual for your machine, a download from the Janome support pages:

http://janome.c  -book-mc4000.pdf

Thank you. I tried this but it didn't work. Will take it to an factory trained authorized repairman.

the reverse button is stuck down what can I do to fix it

my viking 6000 is stuck in reverse what can i do to fix it?

I have a old Viking Husqvarna 6000 series. It doesn't stitch going forward, it goes the other way, like backwards.

By Kathleen

Answers

I sew and teach with vintage (electric and non-electric) and modern Singers so have very little experience with Huskies, but what you are describing is universal to sewing machines-it's either a blockage of lint caught in the gear that shifts the direction of stitching, or the gear is broken.

I got the impression from your post that your machine is a vintage machine (more than 15-20 years old) so it's more than likely that the gear needs to be replaced, and that really is a job for a professional no matter how old your machine is.

First of all the pro will have better and less expensive sources for replacement parts, and second (most importantly) he or she will have the know-how including tech drawings to assist diagnoses, repair, and the all-important task of putting the machine back together correctly.

Look in your phone book to find a repairman or 'Net search using a search phrase that includes the name-model of your sewing machine and the words 'repair', 'service', 'refurbishment', and the area you live in.

One thing about many vintage machines is that when the gears start breaking, you need to be aware that for many models new parts are no longer being milled - the repairman may have to use a salvaged part and he/she may have no clue as to how many sewing hours that salvaged part may have on it.

Which means that salvaged part may fail sooner or later (usually sooner, ask me how I know). It is very important if you sew a lot to be sure to ask the repairman if he used a salvaged part so that you are prepared for the inevitable.

A new part of course can be expected to provide you with many sewing hours, and some parts for vintage electrics are still being milled with several of them interchangeable from manufacturer to manufacturer. Be sure you know what's on yours when you get it back from the repairman.

While it's sadly true that vintage electric machines are a joy to use, often having sentimental value (it was the first machine you bought, or it was Mum's, Gran's, etc), and most have unique features with gorgeous stitches you don't get on modern machines, parts are hard to come by for these machines. Especially if those parts are on a machine built in the late 60s forward when plastic and silicone parts began to be made-plastic and silicone have a 'shelf life' far shorter than metal, and will fail with time and sewing hours.

I had to give up on two absolutely fabulous Singers (513s, sniffle, what a beautiful straight and zig-zag stitch those produced!) because finding replacement parts became so difficult. The one plastic gear on them kept 'dying' due to age, usually right in the middle of a class or special project.

I now sew primarily with an inexpensive modern Singer Talent, and use the treadles and hand crank machines for heavy duty work (leather, wax cotton, etc) - I sold off my vintage electric collection; students come to me to learn how to use their vintage machine and I have no trouble teaching them, but I do stress to them the potential disappointment of using an electric vintage as the primary sewing machine.

In the States, a good repairman will charge up to $100USD to fix your machine (this will include finding the part, plus a cleaning, oiling, check for other problems, etc-be sure you know what he/she is going to do for the price charged). Very rarely will the cost of the work be under $50USD.

Good luck, I hope you'll update once you either retire the machine or have it fixed.

This has happened to me with a couple of vintage sewing machines, both Vikings. Since I wasn't going to invest in them further by spending money for repair, I had nothing to lose. So, after carefully opening the back and looking inside the first one, I saw a hard plastic cam stack with old slightly hardened greasy lubricant on it. After figuring out which area might be causing the machine to be stuck in sewing one direction, I heated it slightly with a hair dryer, and changed sewing directions a few times (with the machine unplugged, just turning by hand to make it stitch, and pushing the button to make it change directions) and before long, it 'let go' and started sewing in the appropriate direction. After replacing the machine's back, I plugged it in and sewed with it for quite some time, in both directions, changing often to keep it moving.

In the years since, I've found that if one doesn't use such a machine often, leaving it stored away, it'll do it again, but this kept both of my old machines running just fine and didn't cost me anything. I seem to remember buying some white lithium grease someplace once, also, to put on the cams. It was a mess to use and you have to use only a very small amount, but if nothing else works, might help.

If you are brave and want to try it, it helps to look around on the web to fine pictures of how to open the back of your particular model. It's usually very easy, though possibly not obvious at first. There's also a yahoo group devoted to fixing sewing machines on your own called "wefixit", where members are quite nice about answering questions on how to solve common sewing machine problems. Much can be learned from the posts there, it's saved several of my sewing machines over time and so far, have never had to take any of my machines in to be repaired. (That's not because I am against it, it's just that it's expensive to do and if I can do it myself, it is the only way to keep SEWING.)

Hi, I went to wefixit and looked everywhere how to become a member with this group but couldn't fin it. Please advised.

Thank you very much,

Nancy Thomas

The button that you press in to make the machine sew backwards is stuck. How do I fix this problem without taking the machine apart?

By happy sewer from NC

Make sure that the machine is in straight stitch forward and the stitch length is the highest level that it can go. If that doesn't make it go forward, you will have to use the old hair dryer trick. Take the top lid of the machine off and heat the inside with a heated hairdryer. Work the stitch length and the reverse until it frees up. Good luck.

You might try just a drop of machine oil on the top of the button. Lay your machine on it's back so the oil will run in around the button and try to work it.

Anonymous

If your machine is a Pfaff, this may be the problem. Underneath many of the 1980s to 2000 Pfaff Sewing Machines, like my Pfaff 939 Hobbymatic, there is a metal pivoting rod, around which, the plastic & pvc parts which control stitch length & reverse, are supposed to pivot. Over time, particularly if exposed to much heat & humidity, a tiny bit of oil either works its way out of the materials themselves, or migrates to the area, & dries to a sticky resin, gluing them firmly to the pivot rod. To check if this is the problem, all you have to do, is remove the bottom of the machine, & under the motor, in the "pillar" of the machine, you will see the tiny black set screw, which holds the rod in place. If you loosen the set screw at all, the rod suddenly begins to pivot, allowing the lever which controls reverse, & stitch length, to pivot the rod, so it seems to fix the problem.

It is not fixed, but you have located the exact spot which needs cleaned! If you just loosen the set screw, over time, the rod will work out of the machine frame, & could damage the machine, so you can t just loosen the set screw. You have to disengage the lower piece of the reverse spring, from the bottom of the plastic piece it is hooked to, then remove the C clips on the rod, & the set screw far enough, that you can remove the plastic pieces from the rod completely. The rod can stay in the machine frame, you can use a Qtip with alcohol, to clean the resin off the rod, push it back & forth through the frame if necessary, to get to all of it.

Use another Qtip in alcohol to clean inside the tube area of the 2 pivoting plastic parts, & when they are clean, replace them on the rod, & make sure they pivot freely, before putting everything back together. If they pivot completely freely, go ahead & replace everything back in the machine, making sure you get the gears back in the correct positions, & the "finger" that sets into the helical groove in the plastic wheel, which controls the stitch length & the reverse lever. Once you are sure everything is properly aligned, replace the C clips on the pivot bar, tighten the set screw, then reattach the lower section of the spring, on the plastic piece that controls stitch length. Sorry, I don t know better technical terms, but that s the basic reason these great machines get stuck in reverse! Do NOT lubricate this area! That will cause the same exact problem, when it dries up! Happy Sewing!

Becky

My Viking 6030 is stuck in reverse mode. I have removed the presser foot plate and cleaned, but it made no difference. What do I need to do? Does the machine need to be oiled? If so, how do I oil it? What kind of oil do I use? The manual gives no mention of oil.

Answers

There are several videos on YouTube that show you step by step how to fix this problem. You can find the videos here:

https://www.you  ch?v=3jJHGSonhZI

I have a Husqvarna Emerald 118 sewing machine. The reverse button is stuck. How can I get a diagram for this machine?

https://www.goo  al&gfe_rd=cr

I have a white mechine stuck in reverse

My New Home Excel 15s sewing machine is running in reverse and I don't know how to make it run forward again.

Is there anywhere that I can download a repair manual for my Pfaff Creative Vision machine? Also, has anyone else had this problem with a machine like this one? Does anyone have any answers?

You can contact them, and get the owner's manual and a technique book here. http://www.pfaf  ative-vision-5-0

How do I unstick a stuck reverse lever on my Singer 2250?

Make sure no thread or lint is obstructing it. Give it a good oiling. Then consult your owner's manual.

My Singer heavy duty 4423 sewing machine started sewing backwards.

4423 singer stuck in reverse

I recently got a Hiline SP sewing machine. I just went to use it for the second time and it is feeding backwards even without pressing the reverse button. I cannot seem to find an answer on the Hipline site.

If you bought the machine new, it should still be under warranty - return it to the seller and ask for a fast repair or replacement machine. Be sure to take all of the attachments and other 'extras' that came with it.

If you bought it used, you're going to have to take this machine to a qualified repair tech - something inside the machine has failed and this is not a 'home repair'.

My Singer sewing machine is stuck in reverse, what else can I do?