Sewing Machine Presser Foot Stuck Up

Sewing is impossible if the presser foot on your machine is stuck up. This is a guide about sewing machine presser foot stuck up.

How do I repair a frozen presser foot take up lever?

Answers

The solution depends on what maker and model machine you're having the problem with.

I do vintage Singer (a few other makers as well but mostly Singers) repair and refurbishment for my Sewing 101 students here in Scotland where I live. Several of their machines had jammed presser feet and the reasons for the jams were usually:

A bit of lint-thread fluff in one or more places a home sewer can't reach to see much less safely clean. This is a job for a professional the first time so he/she can show you how to clean the inside of the machine without getting a very nasty electrical shock, and how to get the machine apart, cleaned, and back together with sewing functionality intact. (TIP: don't - don't - don't use 'canned air'! It will only push any lint/fluff deeper into the machine)

OR: the machine hasn't been switched back to sewing mode after winding a bobbin on the machine (simple fix you can do at home - check your user guide and be sure all of your settings are correct).

OR: a broken gear inside the machine (usually the bobbin gear but sometimes a different gear, and sometimes it's two broken at the same time).

OR: the machine has 'seized' because it hasn't been serviced regularly. This is a job for a professional - he/she will have the knowledge and tools to open the machine safely, find the problem and fix it, and then put the machine back together so that it will still sew.

Best of luck, I hope you and your machine are back sewing soon!

My pressure foot is stuck down and will not come back up. Machine is a husqvarna designer se

Presser foot lever on back goes up N down but want let the foot come down.

My janome new home machine presser foot is stuck in down position. Lever does not seem to change it. What is the problem?

singer 6235 presser foot too high

I have an original Singer Touch and Sew 720. Until tonight it was in perfect working order. I lifted the presser bar, when I went to lower it again the lever made a click sound and the bar now won't move at all. The lever just wiggles about without any noticeable tension against it. Does anyone know how I access the lever and repair it?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

The plastic gear that lifts and lowers the presser bar has worn and the click you heard was its 'dying gasp'.

This isn't something you can repair at home - take your Touch and Sew to a Singer factory trained repair tech. The Touch and Sew is a tricky machine to work on so you need to be sure you take it to a qualified (ie 'factory trained') tech.

I have a Singer Prelude that until now, I've had no problems with. However, today I cannot get the presser foot to go down. The lever in the back works, but the foot won't budge. Help!

By Rachel

Answers

It could be a thread jam - download this free copy of your user manual from SingerCo and follow the directions in the troubleshooting section at the back of the booklet:

http://www.sing  a3255f896542.pdf

If that doesn't help, be sure that the presser foot is properly attached, check to see if the feed dogs are in the correct position, and (this happens a lot) the machine has been switched back to sewing mode after winding a bobbin.

In the end, though, you may need to take the machine to a repair tech (it's a fairly new model so yours might still be under warranty) - if the above doesn't work the only other reason for what you're experiencing is (probably, could be a couple of other things, too) that the spring-gear has failed.

This isn't a home fix. The repair tech has the knowledge and specialised tools needed to find and make this repair.

My sewing machine pressed foot is stuck in the down position, and won't move up and down. I can manually lift the whole mechanism by pulling up hard on it, but the lever seems to be broken. Do I need to get it professionally fixed? Nothing else seems to be wrong.

By Anna P.

Answers

Sorry, yes, this is a repair only a professional (or someone with correct tools and training) can make. Bonus - when he/she fixes the presser foot (usually a worn silicone gear), he/she will usually check the rest of the machine over for other potential problems.

Be sure to get an estimate up front, and see what a full servicing will cost you - cleaning, oiling, and checking the machine over for full functionality and is something that should be done at least every two-three years to keep a beloved machine sewing.

Actually the servicing should be done annually but few sewers are that conscientious:)

The presser foot is stuck in the up position. The lever will go up and down, but the presser foot does not go down unless I push on it manually.

By brneyesu

Answers

Had you just wound a bobbin and forgot to move the winder knob back to the sewing position? That's usually why the presser foot lever won't work-because the machine is still in bobbin winding mode.

It's easy to forget to move the spindle back to the sewing position or tighten the hand wheel (depends on what model you're sewing on as to how your machine switches from sewing to bobbin winding and back) especially when you are in the middle of a project and hurrying to get back to sewing. I've done it, too, when called away from the machine just after removing a freshly wound bobbin from the winding spindle.

I've tried to get into the habit of not replacing the bobbin into the case until after I've switched the machine back to sewing mode but lol, it doesn't always happen that way!

Hope your problem is this simple (it usually is) but if this doesn't help, have you checked your user manual for troubleshooting tips?

And if that doesn't help, I suggest taking the machine to a repair centre. Something inside the machine needs professional attention.