Repairing a Toyota Sewing Machine

Before you take your broken machine to a repairman, you may be able to fix the problem yourself. This is a guide about repairing a Toyota sewing machine.

Sewing machines have a switch that changes the function from sewing to bobbin winding. If this switch fails, you will need to fix it or have it repaired. This is a guide about the bobbin winding switch not working on a Toyota sewing machine.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The machine is about 30 years old. It was my mum's so I am reluctant to part with it. It worked fine last time I used it, now nothing works except the motor. I oiled the machine and took the side off to look at the drive belts.

They are not broken. Maybe it is just old? The wheel at the side was very stiff; I managed to loosen it somewhat. I am flummoxed! Any help appreciated!

Answers

Best Answer

I'll bet you have a jam from material scraps or thread. Remove the needle plate and check in the bobbin area.

Best Answer

If you are still having problems you may be able to receive help from the Toyota Company as most of these companies are very good about answering questions. Here is a site that you can either call or email and they also may have a manual for your machine.

http://gb.home-  m/en_gb/contacts

If they do not have a free manual, here is a site that lists one for $7.00:

http://mysewing  ;m=6400-6402.pdf

Why won't my Toyota sewing machine zig zag backwards when I lift the leaver to go backwards? It goes forward fine.

Answers

Best Answer

You may have a broken lever. First I would check to make side there is no thread, dust or fabric in the area.

I have a Toyota 2800 and when I press the foot pedal nothing happens unless I give the handwheel a help and then it only sews a few stitches very slowly and stops again. I have bought a new foot pedal and this makes no difference. I have checked the bobbin area for lint and thread, none visible and everything is set for sewing (not darning or bobbin winding). Please help. I have another costume to make for my daughter for school.

By Karen B

Answers

Best Answer

It sounds as though you have a loose wire where the foot pedal lead inserts to the machine - this is a job for a qualified repair tech, and so I hope you have a spare machine!

I wish I had better news but I do some vintage machine repair (Singers mostly) and this is always what the problem is when the sewer reports this problem.

I have a Toyota RS2000 sewing machine (bought 15 years ago). It won't feed material through. The needle just goes up and down and then jams. If I lift the foot - I can move the material trough manually and it will sew. I unscrewed everything and when I opened it a small spring fell out of the casing. Is this the problem or have I added to the problem? What do you think it would cost to get it fixed at a repairer? Thank you.

By N.

Answers

Best Answer

By opening the machine you have added to the problem, yes. Depending on where you live the cost has just jumped by about 30%.

I do some repair work (Singers mostly) and when someone brings me a 'basket case' I immediately tack on at least 25% because of the work involved in putting the machine back together. Parts could have been lost, re-locations of specialty screws is harder because I don't have before-I-took-it-apart pics to guide the replacing, etc. I have to spend extra time sourcing specialty info on your specific model - my 'generic' knowledge always needs a plumping in 'basket cases' (unless it's a model I've got extensive experience with or a service manual for), and that time costs money. If I had been the one to open it I would have known to take pics, would have prevented the spring falling out or would have been able to find where it came from right away.

For example:)

I'm not familiar with Toyota machines but they do have a good reputation so if you are totally in love with your machine, it may be worth the high double digit cost to repair it. The repair tech should also give the machine a complete servicing - be sure to ask him/her if the estimate includes that before turning it over, and be sure to find out what caused your specific problem.

If you're not totally in love with your machine or the repair is at or higher than the cost of a new machine, consider an upgrade to a more modern machine or a modern comparative with the same features. This way you'll be under warranty for at least a year.

My Toyota industrial sewing machine has started to race and sew way too fast for me to control it. It starts off at a controlled speed for a few stitches then just takes off. I am afraid I am going to hurt myself.

By Lorraine from Nimbin, NSW, Australia

Answers

Best Answer

Is your industrial machine operated with a foot pedal? If yes, the trouble is in the electrics of the foot pedal. Making sure to match wattage/voltage, try using a different pedal to see if that solves your problem. If it does, buying a new pedal is going to solve your problem permanently - you can usually find a new foot control pedal at the manufacturer website or an authorised sales and repair centre.

If your machine is controlled by a switch on the machine or a knee bar, the problem is inside the machine and you need to take it to a qualified, authorised repair tech.

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to repair my bobbin winder unit (Toyota RS2000) and after taking out the broken part and putting the replacement in, I can't work out how to attach the little spring that came off with it. Does anyone have a photo or diagram of the positioning?

Many thanks!

Answers

Go here to download a free manual. http://gb.home-  ion-manuals.html

Here is a video tutorial

https://www.you  ch?v=KHl-j4pYx4I

If you are still having trouble getting it to work for you, Toyota has an excellent support team that can lead you in the correct way to do this.
Here is a link to their support site.

http://gb.home-  /en_gb/contacts/

My RS series Toyota sewing machine stitch dial will no longer adjust for different stitches. I'm stuck on small stitches for now. Does anyone have any idea how to help me fix this so that I won't have to to take it to a repair man? Thank you!

Answers

You probably have a broken spring. Look at the instruction manual. If you cant find information, you will have to take it in for servicing.

Contact their customer service:

www.sewtoyota.com/contact.php

They have a troubleshooting blog also:

blog.home-sewing.com/.../

Let me know how it goes!

I am trying to use my mums Toyota sewing machine to fix my trousers, but when I push the pedal the needle does not move. However, when I turn the handle thingy at the end of the machine the needle moves. I don't know what to do about it because the rest of the machine seems to be working fine, this is a fairly old model. I need to fix the sewing machine as soon a possible so I can wear my trousers again as they are the only pair I have! Please help ASAP.

By Molly H

Answers

You might have to have it professionally repaired. On the other hand you could use a needle and thread and do the repairs by hand, if it is an emergency.

Good advice from Redhatter. Also, have you checked:

*the trouble shooting section of the user guide manual?

*that you set the machine back to sewing mode after filling the bobbin?

*to be sure the foot pedal cord is fully plugged into the machine and the power point?

*that you have threaded the machine correctly-including a properly filled and set bobbin, have the tension set properly, and the foot lever has been lowered?

*that the feed dogs are in an up position at the needle plate?