Foot Pedal Not Working on Sewing Machine?

Even with power to the sewing machine light and controls, it is possible for the foot pedal to not work. This may be repairable or you might need to buy a new one. This is a page about the foot pedal not working on a sewing machine.

I have a Kenmore 10 older model 12511 and it was working good. While I was sewing it stopped working. I stepped on foot pedal and it would no longer go. What could be the problem?

Answers

Best Answer

This could be a short in the power cable that attaches to your machine. Did you happen to check the connections on the side of the machine? If you do not have an issue with your power cable try to turn on the light. If the light is still working you are getting power to the machine. Now it is time to check the foot pedal to make sure it is not blocked or has a broken wire. Unplug the cable from the power outlet and also the machines. Use a screwdriver to take the foot pedal apart and check the wires and connections and make sure nothing is blocking it. If you can't find anything wrong you may need to buy a new foot pedal.

Best Answer

There could be several reason you are having this problem so you may need to just take one suggestion at a time to see what might solve your problem.

Always check the circuit breaker first and then unplug and replug your machine.
Some people suggest holding the foot petal in your hand and tap it kinda hard on the floor (do not drop it) a couple of times as dust and stuff can cause it to stop working.

You can read other more technical suggestions but if you have never worked on repairs they may be overwhelming so just read each one and think about whether you want to try doing that.
Always unplug your machine before you start taking anything apart.

Since it is a Kenmore you might be able to contact your local Sears Service Center and ask them for help. Tell them you want to try to do repairs yourself. They are usually helpful but I cannot guarantee that. Just Google with your zip code and see what they say.

www.searspartsdirect.com/.../1234596

There are some suggestions on previous ThriftyFun postings that you might want to check out.

www.thriftyfun.com/Repairing-a-Kenmore-Sewing-Machine...

www.thriftyfun.com/Foot-Pedal-Not-Working-on-Sewing...

My foot pedal isn't working on my sewing machine. It's a Singer Stylist 7258. I looked at the wire and inside the foot pedal and everything looks good. The start/stop function is now the only way my machine sews. Otherwise my sewing machine functions normally. It doesn't show any error code. My Stylist is five years old. Is it a fuse? How do I fix it? Is it worth paying for repairs or does it make more cost sense to buy a new one? I need the variable speed that a foot pedal offers. Thanks for your help!

Answers

Best Answer

It does sound like there is an issue with the connection of the foot pedal and the pedal itself on the machine. I think it is a good idea to just order a new foot pedal and put this in. First check to see if anyone you know has a machine that the foot pedal matches yours that you can borrow and test to see if it works.

I have several sewing machine and the connection of the foot pedal on each machine is different so it makes it harder to test this to make sure what is really wrong. I would try and test this with another machine first before ordering a new one. These sewing machine here in my area are quite expensive to buy a new one and it is a lot cheaper to repair them here than buy a new one.

Best Answer

Perhaps you could ask your question on one of the sewing machine forums as they have qualified people with knowledge about this machine and they will know what questions to ask to get to the root of your problem.
Here is one comment you might look into before buying a new foot pedal.

"There are two separate cords on this machine. A power cord and a pedal cord. If you put the power cord in and switch the machine on, and then remove the pedal cord it should give you a beeping sound, which shows you the connection does work."

All of these forums are good so take your pick. You will have to join but you may need more advice in the future.

www.quiltingboard.com/.../

sewing.patternreview.com/.../board.pl

www.threadsmagazine.com/discussion-forum

You might check out the You Tube videos:

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&ei=NQXgXrq...

Manual:

www.singer.com/.../support?title=Singer%20Stylist%207258...

The foot pedal does not run the machine. There does seem to be electrical connection between the foot pedal and the machine, because when the pedal is pressed, there is a click inside the machine, but no other response, however.

Answers

Best Answer

I don't think it is your foot pedal that is the problem. If the pedal is pressed and you hear a click inside the machine this normally means the motor is seized and not turning at all. This can be an issue with the belt on the machine that is broken, a piece could be jammed or the motor can be broken. The only thing you can actually do now is to open the case of the machine and check the belts on the machine.

Try turning the wheel on the machine and see if the parts on the inside are moving at all. If this is all working and you are not seeing any reason the machine is not moving then you have an issue with the motor of the machine. I would like to suggest if this is the case take it to a repair shop. They normally have other foot pedals in the shop they can try to make sure yours is fine. They will be able to tell you if the motor needs to be replaced or not.

I have an old Baycrest sewing machine and there are 2 wires leading to the foot pedal that are supposed to be attached in little black electrical box but one of them is off and I can't tell where it should reattach. Can you send a picture of where the 4 wires attach in the electrical box leading to the power and the foot petal please?

Answers

Best Answer

While I rarely recommend DIY electrical repairs, if you are very handy you could try a YouTube video to see if you can reattach it. Here are some selections:

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fix+sewing+machine...

If you are not handy, I suggest seeing if a repair shop can help you either fix it or get one that is universal.

Here is some info on the company and its history:

ca.answers.yahoo.com/.../index?qid=20110528194239AAh67wS&guccounter...

Post back with an update!

My mom's Janina sewing machine foot pedal stopped working. The light to the machine comes on, but there is no power to the foot pedal. All connections look intact. What does she need to do?

Answers

Best Answer

It shoulds like there is a short in the foot pedal of the machine. She can try taking the foot pedal apart and checking the wires or just replace the foot pedal with a new one.

I have a Simplicity Denim Expert machine and it just stopped sewing. The light comes on when you turn it on, but when you push the pedal it will not work. I have oiled everything I know to oil on it. Any suggestions?

By Teresa

Answers

Best Answer

Since the light comes on, your main problem isn't with the machine - it's with the foot pedal.

You can (extremely carefully) try to open the foot pedal and look for frayed, broken, burnt looking wires - if you're electrically minded you can probably fix the pedal yourself.

If not, take it to a repair tech OR order a replacement speed controller (proper name for the foot pedal) from the maker's website. To be honest the cost of repairing the speed controller is usually comparable to the cost of replacing it with a new one, so do have a look at your maker's website for prices.

I have a Brother SPQ 1500 SL. My foot pedal won't work. I have to use the turn wheel to get my machine to work, but when I stop sewing my machine won't start sewing back and the needle down light flashes. I have changed the foot pedals and am still having the same problem.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have a new foot pedal on the machine it appears there is a short in the machine. This could be an issue with the electronic board in the machine that needs to be looked at. You may need to take this to a repair shop to have it checked out.

I have a Singer sewing machine and the foot pedal won't work. How do I get it to work, and will I have to buy a new foot pedal?

By samanta

Answers

Best Answer

You don't describe the sort of problem you're having so it's hard for me to determine if the problem is the actual pedal, or a short/other fault at the pedal-to-machine connection.

So the best advice I can give you is to say this is something that should be seen by a repair tech to figure out the problem. Otherwise, if you buy a new pedal (but the problem is an undiscovered fault inside the machine at the connection or some other point) you may be wasting your money.

I got a vintage Kenmore YK230 sewing machine second hand. I cleaned it and oiled it. The light goes on, but no current goes to the foot pedal. Can it be fixed?

By Liz from Tucson, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

I suggest taking the machine to a repair shop for an estimate.

I cannot lower the pressure foot on my sewing machine. On closer inspection it looks like the fine tension belt has been broken and one end of it has wrapped itself around the lever used to raise and lower the pressure foot. Is this something I need to take to be repaired or can I do this myself?

By Peggy from Lincolnshire, UK

Answers

Best Answer

Rule of thumb: if you are asking the question, this is something you need to take in to be repaired. Instruction books come with sewing machines telling about things like this and also the whole schematic (design) should be online with the company you got it from. Allows you to order parts to fix it. Even though mine is 25 years old, Sears still has my model in their computer. I located all the things and printed it off.

Two months ago I bought a an Empisal serger. I have only used it twice. I was using it today when the foot stopped, the light was still on. I tested the foot on my sewing machine and it was working fine, but when I put it on the serger it was not working. Can anybody help me by letting me know how I can fix it or what might be the problem? Thanks.

The power comes on to the machine. The foot pedal worked for like 5 seconds then stopped working, but the machine light still works. I took the pedal apart and didn't find any problem with it. I replaced just the foot pedal with the same wire and it is giving me the same problem. It worked once or twice for like 3 seconds then stopped working. Could the problem be with the cord that sends the power to the foot pedal? Any suggestion please and thanks.

I have a Janome Memory Craft 6000 that just slowed down and stopped sewing. The switch works, but nothing happens when I press the foot pedal since then.

Answers

Either there is faulty wiring in the pedal itself or the wire going to the pedal. Once that is fixed, your machine will work well.

How ironic....my friend and I were just talking about this with hers and she has a super handy hubby, who found a loose wire in hers and made it all better. If you are not handy, I don't suggest messing with it. If you have a place nearby who does repairs, I would take it there.

She was telling me there is a shortage of Janome dealers in some locations so you may need to call one from another location and see if you can do a mail transaction if that is possible. She's lucky, she has one 16 miles away.

Hope you have an easy as a solution as she did!

I had an old Singer sewing machine Model 6233 (1986). It gets used once a year. It worked well until today. It has no response from the air foot pedal. Is it something wrong with the air pump inside or the problem of the foot pedal? Or will a broken foot pedal will make it stop working? I did checked the small air pump inside and the tube. They are working good.
Thanks for your help.

Thomas

Answers

You will have to take off the panel on the foot control to look at the wires. In most cases the problem is a loose or broken wire. This article from eBay is very informative: www.ebay.com/.../g.html

Hi, Judy,
Many thanks for your advice. But Singer 6233 foot control was operated by air and no wire inside.
Best regards,
Thomas

My Simplicity Satin 197 machine's foot pedal does not work. I bought another pedal and that one also does not work. I am using the start/stop button to sew. Is there something else I should be doing? I don't want to buy another pedal in case that doesn't work.
Thank you.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesAugust 21, 2017
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Foot-Pedal-Not-Working-on-Sewing-Machine-1.html