Foot Pedal Not Working on Sewing Machine

Even with power to the sewing machine light and controls, it is possible for the foot pedal to not work. This may be repairable or you might need to buy a new one. This is a guide about the foot pedal not working on a sewing machine.

I have a Simplicity Denim Expert machine and it just stopped sewing. The light comes on when you turn it on, but when you push the pedal it will not work. I have oiled everything I know to oil on it. Any suggestions?

By Teresa

Answers

Best Answer

Since the light comes on, your main problem isn't with the machine - it's with the foot pedal.

You can (extremely carefully) try to open the foot pedal and look for frayed, broken, burnt looking wires - if you're electrically minded you can probably fix the pedal yourself.

If not, take it to a repair tech OR order a replacement speed controller (proper name for the foot pedal) from the maker's website. To be honest the cost of repairing the speed controller is usually comparable to the cost of replacing it with a new one, so do have a look at your maker's website for prices.

I have a Singer sewing machine and the foot pedal won't work. How do I get it to work, and will I have to buy a new foot pedal?

By samanta

Answers

Best Answer

You don't describe the sort of problem you're having so it's hard for me to determine if the problem is the actual pedal, or a short/other fault at the pedal-to-machine connection.

So the best advice I can give you is to say this is something that should be seen by a repair tech to figure out the problem. Otherwise, if you buy a new pedal (but the problem is an undiscovered fault inside the machine at the connection or some other point) you may be wasting your money.

I got a vintage Kenmore YK230 sewing machine second hand. I cleaned it and oiled it. The light goes on, but no current goes to the foot pedal. Can it be fixed?

By Liz from Tucson, AZ

Answers

Best Answer

I suggest taking the machine to a repair shop for an estimate.

I cannot lower the pressure foot on my sewing machine. On closer inspection it looks like the fine tension belt has been broken and one end of it has wrapped itself around the lever used to raise and lower the pressure foot. Is this something I need to take to be repaired or can I do this myself?

By Peggy from Lincolnshire, UK

Answers

Best Answer

Rule of thumb: if you are asking the question, this is something you need to take in to be repaired. Instruction books come with sewing machines telling about things like this and also the whole schematic (design) should be online with the company you got it from. Allows you to order parts to fix it. Even though mine is 25 years old, Sears still has my model in their computer. I located all the things and printed it off.

My mom's Janina sewing machine foot pedal stopped working. The light to the machine comes on, but there is no power to the foot pedal.

All connections look intact. What does she need to do?

Answers

It shoulds like there is a short in the foot pedal of the machine. She can try taking the foot pedal apart and checking the wires or just replace the foot pedal with a new one.

She needs to unscrew the bottom of the foot pedal to see if there are loose or broken wires.

I had an old Singer sewing machine Model 6233 (1986). It gets used once a year. It worked well until today. It has no response from the air foot pedal. Is it something wrong with the air pump inside or the problem of the foot pedal? Or will a broken foot pedal will make it stop working? I did checked the small air pump inside and the tube. They are working good.

Thanks for your help.

Thomas

Answers

You will have to take off the panel on the foot control to look at the wires. In most cases the problem is a loose or broken wire. This article from eBay is very informative: http://www.ebay  178258927/g.html

Hi, Judy,
Many thanks for your advice. But Singer 6233 foot control was operated by air and no wire inside.
Best regards,
Thomas