De-icing Salts and Antifreeze Are Dangerous To Pets
Salted sidewalks will injure your pets paws. If he goes outdoors on salted surfaces, get some booties and teach him to wear them, or be sure to wash his paws when he comes in.
Editor's Note: Here's what the Humane Society has to say: "De-icing salts used to melt snow and ice are paw irritants that can be poisonous if licked off. Paws should be washed and dried as soon as the animal comes in from the snow. Other options include doggie boots with Velcro straps to protect Fido's feet, and making cats indoor pets."
Also a good time to note that Antifreeze is deadly for pets...
"Antifreeze that contains ethylene glycol has a sweet taste that attracts animals but is deadly if consumed in even small quantities; one teaspoon can kill a seven-pound cat. The HSUS recommends pet owners use a safe antifreeze in their vehicles. Look for antifreeze that contains propylene glycol, which is safe for animals if ingested in small amounts."
Read feedback for this post below.
Click here to post feedback.
You can purchase "de-icing" at Petsmart which is safe for pets.
Special Teacher, that is not true about Swiffer. See:
I read recently in Dear Abby or Heloise's Hints that the formula for the cleaning solution in Swiffer Wet Jets and similar products is only a tiny bit different than for antifreeze. The article talked of how one person's pets were poisoned by walking on the damp clean floor then licking their paws.