Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

How do you make hand dishwashing liquid?

By Susan from London, ON

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Melissa Nowack12/21/2011

I cannot get octagon where I live, at least I have yet to find it! So, last night I made this up with castille, and I ended up with 1/3 inch of white solid on top and the soap is, like water.

So, I decided you couldn't make it with castile. I strained it all out with cheesecloth, and used the liquid to remake it with FelsNaptha which I have used for laundry soap and the same thing happened...1/2 inch of white solid on top! What am I doing wrong? Will this happen with the octagon too or is there something I am doing wrong? I'm so frustrated!

Here are questions related to Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid.

Question: Homemade Dishwashing Liquid

What other soap can I use other than Octagon?

By Don W.

Most Recent Answer

By Julia [136]06/14/2011

Bars of Ivory maybe. I like Fels Naptha about as well as I do Octagon. You can get it anywhere that sells Octagon, (like Lehman's). I've never tried making dishwashing Liquid with Ivory, but I've used many bars of just the soap to do dishes.
Hope this helps.

Pookarina

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

I am looking for a recipe for making my own hand dish washing liquid.

Thanks in advance!
Karen from Wisconsin

RE: Homemade Soap for Handwashing Dishes?

If you have powdered clothes detergent, this might be a suitable substitute for handwashing dishes. In the case of very greasy pots and pans, or dishes with baked-on stuff, soaking them in very hot water will help remove the deposits before putting them in the detergent water. Adding vinegar to the wash water might also be useful. Make sure that you rinse the dishes well, to remove "additives" that might be present in the clothes soap, but are not normally found in dish soap. (04/13/2005)

By P.

I would think a little cheap shampoo would work in a pinch. (04/13/2005)

By ThriftyFun

When I was little there was no such thing as dishwashing liquid. We used clothes washing powder. Cheer, Tide And Fab did it all! (04/13/2005)

By mary e. in va.

Use a little grated soap in hot water about 1 Tbsp. and rinse dishes in clean water with 1/4 cup of vinegar added, (this is not neccessary if you dry your dishes straight away) done it heaps of times and works great. (04/23/2005)

By shazdove

Using Detergent and shampoo or whatever is definitely not good for your digestive system. With all the chemicals in it, you may end up paying more for all the medical bill. The best is grinded/powder charcoal or ash. Not only it removes the grease but it also polishes as well. Best of all, it is cheap,safe and enviroment friendly. (06/03/2005)

By Laman_my

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

This is something that is probably cheaper to buy than to make. (11/21/2005)

By teddygirl

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

Try this website they have tons of household cleaner recipes. (11/24/2005)

By christi

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

I just use very hot water : ) (12/15/2005)

By Clare

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

I would use baking soda preferably mixed with borax. (01/09/2006)

By Mel

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

This inexpensive soap does not suds up very much, but it cleans so well! Use with hot water. Do not use it in automatic dishwashers.
  • 1/4 cup soap flakes
  • 2 cups hot water
  • 1/4 cup glycerin
  • 1/2 tsp. lemon essential oil
  1. In bowl combine soap flakes and water and stir until the soap is dissolved. Cool to luke warm.
  2. Stir in the glycerin and the essential oil, leave to cool. AS it cools it will form a loose gel. Stir with a fork and break up the gel and then pour into a narrow-necked bottle. An old shampoo bottle makes an excellent container.
  3. To use, squirt 3 teaspoonfuls into hot running water.

from http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Hills/9684/fabric.html (06/20/2006)

By Melleyjelley

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

Does anyone have the recipe for window cleaner to use in a spray bottle with water hose..I hd one but can't remember the right mounts..It was a gallon of water and dwan dish soap and jet dry...HELP...(quote)(/quote) (09/24/2006)

By

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

Ok, I know this sounds a little extreme but when I ran out I used Gain Powder laundry detergent and some bleach... And then boiled some water to rinse them in!! Works great, so great in fact about one a month I wash all the dishes in it again.. It doesn't leave water marks on your glasses and it takes away a LOT of the baked on stuff and the stuff that can get in crevices of your forks and things like that.. And it kills all germs.. Just remember to rinse the dishes really well in extremely hot water.. (03/21/2007)

By Brandie from Bama

RE: Homemade Hand Dishwashing Liquid

A bit of borax in hot water works very well. It also dries leaving minimal water spots :) (02/07/2008)

By Dawn

After searching many sites for a homemade hand dish-washing detergent, I have made up my own recipe and I'm pleased to say it works!

Ingredients

• 2 Bars shredded Octagon soap
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup washing soda
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

Directions

Put shredded soap in 4 1/2- 5 quarts of water and melt on stove. When melted, turn stove off and add all other ingredients and stir. When cooled down, pour in sealed containers.

Use as you would any other dish detergent. The only thing is that it doesn't sud much, but gets dishes really clean. I keep a partial bar of Octagon soap by the sink to use when needed. I also use 1/8 cup of vinegar in the rinse water. Hope this works for you!

By Scarlett from Murray, KY