Doggie Treats Out Of Stale Bread

Having adopted my third "recycled" dog who is being trained, I was going through a lot more doggie treats than before. I decided to take some bread that was going stale anyway and try an experiment.

I piled up a few slices then cut them into quarters. I laid them out on a cookie sheet, lightly brushed them with healthy olive oil, and sprinkled them with garlic powder. I put them in a low oven for a bit, until they were hard and crunchy, like Melba toast. All healthy ingredients and they basically cost me nothing, I used the too stale for me bread and the dogs love them. May try flax seed next time!

By Linda from Vista, CA

Editor's Note: Most veterinarians recommend against giving your dog garlic, but there some do advocate for it. Please talk to your own vet prior to feeding dogs garlic.

Wonder if some chiken bullion crystals would work too? Though the sodium level may not be appreciated. However it wouldn't take much to flavor a whole batch. Just let it sit in the oil overnight to dissolve well.

I have heard somewhere that the garlic is a natural flea repelent!

Wonder if the deli at your local grocery store would let you have any dayold bread they couldn't sell off?

That sounds like a good idea to use chicken stock. You could use the broth from a roast chicken that you make and could be in control of the salt, etc. I always wind up with tons (not quite) of bread in my freezer and nobody wants to eat the rumpled and bent hot dog buns, etc. so I might just try doing this. Thanks for the idea!

That is a great idea! Other toppings might be peanut butter or cheese.

Update on dog treats: I did try the chicken stock that I had mentioned earlier and my dogs love it! I basted bread with mostly turkey stock saved from Thanksgiving (and now the Christmas turkey), sliced the bread into long 1 inch slices, and baked on about 200 for a long time...I tend to forget they're in the oven. Then I just left them in the oven overnight to harden more. I have one very old blind and deaf dog who was getting tired of all her different kinds of foods and treats and she loves these. Frankly, at this stage of her life, she can have whatever she wants, healthy or not, and this happens to be a healthy enough treat or even entire meal if she wants it. My younger dog gets it for a treat only and really loves it.

Wow, great ideas here! Sounds good enough for human consumption too! I know how doggie treats can be costly!

Hi all,

It is interesting to note that vets do say to not give garlic to dogs, but if one has a smell of the cheap sausage type foods being touted as 'fresh dog food' in supermarkets, there is a strong and distinct smell of garlic in them! I believe it is used to disguise the offal and rubbish used to make them, myself, but it seems that there is very little consultation with vets regarding dog food when it comes to some manufacturers! If garlic is bad, then there are quite a lot of dogs out there in trouble methinks!

Great idea, and great on salads too. :) You might want to watch for High fructose corn syrup in the bread. I have noticed when my dogs get that it makes them gain weight and be a little more hyper.

Watch the garlic on them. The garlic and onion family causes anemia in most dogs. For some reason they can't digest it easily and it can either cause them to bleed internally or it can mess with thier bone marrow and they don't produce enough RBC's.

Great idea however!

I would never give garlic or bread to my dogs.

If you'll do a google search for dog treats you'll find a lot of recipes where garlic is included. It's moderation. As to the one stating she wouldn't give bread to a dog; it's probably better that the corn and all the other stuff they put in dog food. I do know that onions, as one mentioned are not to be fed to dogs and I course you wouldn't fed your dog a garlic pod. But the amount of garlic you're talking about is minor. I like your suggestion and I plan on giving it a try.

I feed Taste of the Wild dry and canned to my two large dogs which does not have "corn and all the other stuff" as was mentioned by someone. They do not eat anything with "by-products" either and that eliminates most of the well known, "popular" dog foods.

Homemade Dog Treat Recipes, Rows of homemade dog biscuits cooling on a rack.
Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
Pets Dogs Dog Food RecipesDecember 2, 2008
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Stale Bread
Freshening Stale Bread