Understanding CT Scan Results

Does anyone know what it means when a CT scan says, "moderate to severe brain volume loss"? Is this the same as Alzheimer's? This was my mother's result (the doctor wanted to make sure she didn't have a stroke -- she didn't) and I'm scared to death.

Jo from Hampton Roads

You should be able to directly speak to the doctor and ask this question. Maybe you should be sure you are listed on your mother's medical record as a person who is allowed to get information concerning her. Don't worry about this until you can speak to the doctor...plenty of time to worry later if needed. I do know that the brain shrinks as we get older so hearing that the size has decreased is not surprising. Ask the doctor.

I agree that you should contact the doctor. Getting your medical interpretations from a Thrifty website is not thrifty ...it is POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS! A wise person once told me that advice is usually about as valuable as what you paid for it (Absolutly ZERO!)

The physician will give you the explaination in as detailed a manner as you desire AND will answer ANY and ALL questions. If they do not...find a new physician.

I also agree that you should have your mom sign the forms to allow yu access to her Private Health Informatin (PHI) so you can help her get the best care.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 always comforts me when I am faced with stress like this. God Bless you and your mom.

I think that you should take a deep breathe and think a minute. I really think if it was a major problem he would have said it right then. I would make sure that you are on the records as the person to talk to him. Make sure he is aware you do not understand.

Should he be unwilling to give you answers make sure to find someone who will. Sometimes doctors and Nurses get do used to using certain phases they forget they need to say it in English.

I really do think if it were life changing or life threatening he would have made an issue out of letting you know. Have a very blessed day.

i work at a drs office. they are happy to speak with the family about situations like this. please call them. i dont know what the information means but the dr obviously does.

Please do discuss Mom with your doctor. Brain volume loss means that the brain is smaller, with more water space in the cranium. Your doctor will tell you honest answers (I'm sure) that will be the information you need to make plans. God bless you both, I can tell you love your Mom. --Kim

Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 27, 2008
Man in his Vegetable and Flower garden
Finding Easy to Grow Flowers and Vegetables
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Closeup of Lavender Rose
Starting Roses from Cuttings
Flatbed computer scanner.
Scanning Photos Into Your Computer